Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Solar charger
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Solar charger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
S2KC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Solar charger Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a bit of a problem, in my car the only 12v outlet is between the seats, its a Honda S2000 if you want to find a pic to see what I mean, meaning that to plug anything like a sat nav/phone charger into it is a pain as there ends up being wires everywhere.

To try to get round this I got my self a little solar charger to sit on the dash and charge the unit.. But when I plug it into the S90i the blumin thing enters "link" mode as if I have connected it to the PC, which as you know renders it useless.

What I would like to know is if there is a way of charging it with a PC ( or my solar charger) and still being able to use the thing. would be nice to make changes and set up routes at home without killing the battery and then having to charge again it before I can use it.

Thanks
Chris
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you cobble together a lead that plugs into the solar charger and terminates in a cigarette lighter socket? You could then plug the Navman lead into that?

The other option would be to get an auto electrician to fit an accessory socket, it's a simple job and wouldn't cost much to have done?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen extension cords for car power socket that even provided extra sockets -- you just glue the end bit with extra sockets into the convenient position.
S2KC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cant cobble anything as the solar charger puts out 5v, the navman car charger runs on 12v and steps that down to the 5v USB voltage. There is basically no where to put an accessory socket.

An extention doesnt really solve anything.

I have asked Navman who just say it cant be done. Oh well another bit of fantastic Navman tech Rolling Eyes

Thanks for trying though guys.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really nowhere you could stash an accessory socket? I know the S200 is only a 2-seater but I'd have thought there must be someplace you could fit an accessory socket, under the dash, in the glovebox or tucked discretely under the side of the center console etc?
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S2KC wrote:
An extention doesnt really solve anything.

Right. Because...?
Doesn't look any worse than the original cable.
This guy has no problems using that same socket to power his Garmin.
S2KC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate cables, so it wouldnt matter how it looked. But thanks for the ideas.

The issue isnt really that the origanal cable isnt long enough, although i have not tryed it all the way to the screen so it may well not be. Its the fact the socket is in a silly place and you keep bashing your arm on what ever is plugged into it. Yes as suggested moving or having another socket installed would help, but there really isnt anywhere to put it that wont interfere with driving.

The car charge must send a signal up one or two of the other pins in the USB plug telling the S90 it is not a data device but only a charger. It may be simply that they are linked. I will look into it in more depth at some point.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: