Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to gps Mac user in need of help!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to gps Mac user in need of help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glock339
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: New to gps Mac user in need of help! Reply with quote

Hi, I'm brand new to the world of gps so please bear with me! Wink

I am due to move away soon due to work and have no sense of direction so I fancy getting some kind of gps system to help me out.

I'm after something for £500 or preferably less, the main problem I think I have is I'm a Mac user. If I go for a pda system I need a pc and from what I've seen stand alone systems are very expensive! Sad

Any help or advise on the subject would be most appreciated!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a MAC and no PC is going to be a huge issue for you. None of the installers work on a MAC for Pocket PC's, so you'd have to borrow somebody's PC and internet connection. If then you have a problem later on, you would have to hope yoru friend is still around and will let you use his PC as you activated the product on that PC.

Personally as you will be limited here, I would go for a dedicated in-car system. Garmin will be releasing the Street Pilot 2620, although this is going to be at a high price of over £1000. Same for the Magellan Road Mate. However TomTom will be releasing TomTom Go at around £580 in the summer and this will probably be better for you so you're not tied to a PC then.

Some internet stores will preinstall the software/maps for you at a cost, but the problem is you're then on your own if you need to install a new map or have a corrupted storage card or even run down the battery of the Pocket PC and the memory's wiped and have no backup.
glock339
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. Wink

I have been offered a old PC by a friend. So I was wondering what sort of specifications would the PC need to conect to and run a pda/gps etc, which version of windows for example?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest something that certainly has USB 1.1 support and a serial port (9 pin). The fastest speed possible, I'm not too sure of the desktop limitations, but I wouldn't try to go much below a Pentium 3 450Mhz, 64mb Ram. Make sure it has a CD drive also. If it has an internal modem, all the better (as you may need this for activation over the internet).
glock339
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2004 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost forgot to ask, do you need a PC to use Wayfinder???

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: