Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - VW Touareg
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

VW Touareg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
captainhaddock1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: VW Touareg Reply with quote

Just got a new car, VW Touareg and it comes with Satnav built in, but it has no safety camera function and I can not find any details anywhere of how I can enable it, if indeed I can. I have talked to VW and they say there is no option for this with the system.

I had the Traffic Master Smartnav in my old car and this had the camera option which was great as I do a lot of miles on roads I am not familiar with.

I was thinking of getting a cheap SatNav just for the cameras and hide it somewhere but I would need to put a Sat aerial in, mounted on the Dash or window, which I do not want to do.

Any suggestions anyone, apart from the obvious, "don't exceed the speed limit"
Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt you would need to use an external aerial, the pod type navigation units have built in GPS receivers that work very well these days even when confronted with the dreaded Athermic windscreen problem. ven placed in a door pocket a modern sat nav will still work, but I would want to see it rather than hide it! - the vehicle manufacturers fit what can only be described as basic AtoB functionality with a very poor interface for the user from what I have experianced.

If all you want is a basic device that can offer Speed Camera Warnings using the database from this site look at a TomTom One, although with the 520 and 720 devices being replaced soon shop around, you might be able to grab a true bargain, anything under £170 is considered cheap for a device that cost £330 only 9 months ago - Mike
captainhaddock1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

Went out and bought the Saphire Snooper from Argus, £99.00, will let you know how it works.

Ta
Very Happy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: