Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing map update 2008
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing map update 2008

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigpaul2658
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Installing map update 2008 Reply with quote

Hi all ive tried loading my new map upadate 2008 to my gamin NUVI 660 it builds the map image then on installing stops at 34% does this mean the unit is not big enough, if i just want to install uk it asks for unlock code, i only got a product key off garmin which only works for a full install.

Any help appreciated.
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Installing map update 2008 Reply with quote

bigpaul2658 wrote:
Hi all ive tried loading my new map upadate 2008 to my gamin NUVI 660 it builds the map image then on installing stops at 34% does this mean the unit is not big enough, if i just want to install uk it asks for unlock code, i only got a product key off garmin which only works for a full install.

Any help appreciated.

It sounds as though you have one of two problems but before you try to solve them do two things:

a) Register your unit with Garmin if you have not already done so (that ensures that you can get at the unlock codes for both your old and your new maps)

b) Back up your nuvi 660 files (the garmin directory in full) onto your PC (in case anything goes wrong with the update)

Now for two possible diagnoses -

1. You may be trying to install the update onto a 512Mb SD card instead of onto the Garmin itself. I think that would run out of space at about one third of the install. Switch off the Garmin, take the card out of your 660, reconnect to the PC and try again, directing the install to the Garmin device and not to the card.

or

2. You may have bought the full product rather than the update product. If you are trying to install 2008 maps alongside the old maps it would stall because there is not enough room on the Garmin for both sets of maps. To cure this you can either return your map DVD and get the update DVD (which will delete the old maps automatically as part of its install process) or delete the existing maps (gmapprom.img) before installing the new maps.

If you are not confident about the above then you MUST ring Garmin support and talk to them about your problem. They have a free phone number.

The backup to which I referred at the beginning of this post should enable you to get out of any problems but I don't want to be responsible if you delete your old maps and can't get the new ones on or the old back! Issues can arise with unlock codes.
bigpaul_1972
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate ive sorted it i was trying to install the full lot and there wasnt enough room so i used map install and put uk and ireland on.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But there should be enough space! I recently updated the maps in my 660. It was fully automatic (it took 2 hrs) and went without a hitch.

Do you have additional .mp3 and/or jpg files on the main area of your unit? This could restrict the amount of free space to below that required to do a full upgrade. I store my .mp3 files on external SD card and use them from there.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: