Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Only On Route Problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Only On Route Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puppet1984
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Only On Route Problem Reply with quote

Tom Tom One XL

am i doing something wrong the database use to only warn me of camera on route (when the option was ticked) however since installing the voice og files it now warns me of any camera within the set range very annoying when flying down the motorway to get liz telling me a 40mph gatso is ahead

any help would be appreciated Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go back through each camera category and make sure the "Warn only if POI on Route" check box is selected - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting the voice alerts on won't have made any difference, but what WILL have made a difference (if you are sure that all your "warn only if on route" settings are correct) is if you have updated your software or maps at any time.

The more recent versions of TomTom's operating software and maps have extended the definition of what it considers to be "on route", so more and more cameras on the other carriageway of dual carriageways or on slip roads and the roundabouts at the end of them give "false alerts". This is nothing to do with the camera database itself, but the way the TT handles ANY POIs.
puppet1984
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh so its tom tom itself?
it considers a slip road its not telling me to take and i have no intention of taking to be on route?
can anyone recommend a better gps?
Confused
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

puppet1984 wrote:

oh so its tom tom itself?
it considers a slip road its not telling me to take and i have no intention of taking to be on route?
can anyone recommend a better gps?

shadamehr wrote:
No alas, because whilst this at first drove me mad, as my old CoPilot never did this, the logic behind it is actually pretty sound...

You see, picture those who have things set NOT to only warn when on a route - (so that we still get warned of cameras, and of course other POI's whilst not engaged in an actual planned route).

Now this is better for a lot of us for a number of reasons - such as having a good idea of our local area perhaps, and thus not plotting a route, as this would be overkill - but we still want reminding of cameras.

Or some of us having Traffic - and thus wanting to know of any local delays or closures, but again NOT needing to have a route planned.

Or, as I do, using my TomTom as my music player - if I have routes plotted whilst local, then the voice instructions would interrupt my music constantly, so when driving local, my TT is on, but NOT routes planned.

(For a good real world example of this kind of thin, see the post about "Truvelo - 1 Flash or 2" for a user who sick of getting mis-directed to his ongoing home location as plotted, when he deviated off a route for petrol, therefore switched his TT OFF, and got flashed, rather than just cancelling a route, which would have been much better for the poor guy, and warned him of the camera).

So, many many valid reasons for having a TomTom running, but NOT needing a route planned.

And under these conditions, bearing in mind that as I drive along Road X, and there is a camera off to the side of me up ahead on Road Y, and I have my TT set to warn me of cameras say within 400 yards, then when I get withn 400 yards of the camera off to the side on Road Y, then my TomTom QUITE RIGHTLY warns me of it, as it has NO WAY OF KNOWING, if I might be about to turn off onto Road Y just ahead, as I don't have a route set.

As this is the underlying functionality too for how it warns of Cameras if you do have it set to only warn when on Route, then this is why it does it.

But this, it could be said, is quite correct, as at ANY given point when on a route, you could turn OFF the route, left or right, if there is a jam, a snag, or you know of a better local way yourself.

As such, picture this - you have your cameras set to ONLY warn you when on route, at a distance of say 500 yards.

You drive along Road X, as per your plotted route... But you see a jam just ahead, or know of a local route that is quicker, so you turn off onto Road Y.

Alas, Road Y has a camera, just as you get onto it...

And by the time you turn onto it, and TomTom realises the route variation, and re-calculates, as the camera is only 100 yards up Road Y, you get no time to be warned, drive past at 45mph, and get a £60 fine and 3 penalty points on your licence.

That, to me , is the RATIONALE why TomTom warns you of cameras WITHIN the set distance you choose, rather than those ONLY ever on the route.

Until you get used to it, and rpicture the reasoning and logic behind it, it is a pain, I agree.

But once you get your head round why - ESPECIALLY the "Warn when NOT on Route" users like us, who RELY on this logic, then it makes much better sense.

Especially as exactly what I described to you, occurred once on my old Co-Pilot which did ONLY warn if it was on a an actual road plotted on route.

Thankfully that time, turning off a slip road because of traffic ahead, I was able to spot the camera van just in time, before CP had re-calculated my route and could warn me of it, and I managed to break and slow in time.

But think it through, and there are very sound reasons why it works this way.

It's up to you to then decide if this is something you agree with or not.

But personally, more regular that the warnings might be or not, I PREFER this logic by a long shot.

Indeed, as said, it is ESSENTIAL for those who don't just have it set to warn on route, and still very necessary even for those who do, given a deviation from the route could happen at any time.

Besides, I find it a great way to learn where local cameras are, that I otherwise might not pass.

Sorry that this post was another "War and Peace" guys, but I obviously couldn't explain the reasons for why it does this, without listing them.

Hope this helps too.

Further OT conversation move here

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: