Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Post code search changed with new map's.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Post code search changed with new map's.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theredguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Post code search changed with new map's. Reply with quote

Hi

I recently updated my TT one v2 to the latest map's and software from TT's site, all the downloads have installed perfectly fine but there is one thing that is bugging me.

With my old v6xx map's i could input a whole postcode such as GL142PQ and it would then bring up the specific street/lane etc and then ask for a house number or tell me it doesn't have any specifics but knows where the postcode relates to anyway. With this new map as soon as i put in GL14 it wants me to pick a street from the list asuming that i know it and then a house number but as i deliver in a very rural area there are not always names for the roads which means that i can't always find the right location now.

I have looked through the TT and for the life of me can't seem to find a way of reverting back to the old system of being able to put the whole postcode in, am i missing something or am i stuck with what seems to be a very backward step in navigating to a destination.

Any help would be appreciated.

Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possibilities:

I don't know how far back your old software went, but they changed the postcode entry method quite a long time ago.
If I remember rightly, you used to input the postcodes on the same screen as you'd enter a town and street. THAT STILL WORKS on latest software, but only for the first 4 digits.
There is now a separate postcode entry option on the menu - Navigate to / Address / Postcode.
Note that when you enter it, you don't need a space between the two parts of the code (in fact the space bar doesn't do anything).

If the above doesn't work, it sounds like you are missing the UK postcodes file.
Connect the TT to your PC and open up Windows Explorer.
Browse the TT (Windows will recognise it as a new hard disk drive) and look for a folder called "zip". Depending on whether you have the UK or Europe mapping there should be 2 or 4 files in there:
Great_Britain.postal
Great_BritainPostal.ver
Nederland.postal
Nederlandpostal.ver

The Great_Britain.postal is the only really importent one, the .ver file just tells Home what version it is.

If you are missing that file or that folder, you can download the latest versions from TomTom. Follow the link in THIS POST (Ignore any other topics and earlier posts as they have some older versions).
You may need to be logged in to your registered account on the TomTom website for the above link to work.

Download the zip archive to somewhere on your PC, then when it has finished downloading the rather cutely named "zip.zip", right click on it and select "Extract all".
It should then extract to produce a folder called "zip" with four files inside.

Using Windows Explorer, you can copy and paste that folder onto the TomTom drive, replacing any existing folder called zip that may already be there.

When you have finished, if you run Home and view the "contents of my device" it should show the postcodes as v701 for the UK and v704 for the Netherlands.

3. (yeah I know I said "two possibilities")
A re-boot with a pin in the reset hole never goes amiss...
theredguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the info i don't seem to have the "zip" folder so that must be the problem, however when i try to download the file i keep getting permision denied even though i am logged in to my TT account and i can't seem to find any reference to post code files on TT's web site....any suggestions?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why it isn't working for you, but you are not alone. A couple of other people on another forum have had the same problem.

It is working for me, I'm watching it download for the second time today as I type.
If it helps, I'm using Firefox as my browser an I'm left clicking on the link. A new browser window opens and Firefox (as usual) pops up a window asking whether I want to open it or save it to disk.

Anyone clever than I, that can think why it might not work for some others?
theredguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just installed firefox here at work and the file is now downloading perfectly cheers for your help dude.

Smile
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that post allthough i uploaded the postcodes you should use the ones on Mikes post as he has done his magic to make it work if i remember right. Wink
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
In that post allthough i uploaded the postcodes you should use the ones on Mikes post as he has done his magic to make it work if i remember right. Wink

I think all he did was link to a DIFFERENT download site offered by TomTom. This one included the extra .ver files (which tell you the version number) that were missing from yours.
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Andy the set i posted and Mike was trying to fix for me had the VER files to go with them. That was the reason i was asked if i could post them but made a shambles of the URL link. Rolling Eyes Confused Embarassed
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: