Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New hardware, new software - do I buy now or wait?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New hardware, new software - do I buy now or wait?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: New hardware, new software - do I buy now or wait? Reply with quote

I was just about to take the plunge when the new SiRF chip is anounced and news of the new TomTom software slipped out too.

What should I do - buy or wait? Confused

The new SiRF chip looks like it promises much, how long does it take for this stuff to be commercially available? I'm guessing but I can see the 'don't wait' replies coming on this part of the question... 8)

However, what about TTN3? I guess it will be more money (and working for software company myself) it will either be a 'ground up' new build or 'more than an update' tweaking of the last release. If it's the latter (which seems the opinion so far) I may as well wait for it to drop?

If I did get TTN2 now do these guys give any 'grace' upgrades close to a launch?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you have surmised, I would not bother waiting for the new SiRF chip, it could be 6mths before we see a receiver that incorporates this chip.

As for TomTom, you will almost certainly be entitled to a discounted upgrade if you buy now, possibly even a free upgrade. As TTNav3 is due for release towards the end of this month it may be easier to hold out until then and but the full v3 package. I doubt very much that it will cost you any more to do this. Can't say anymore about the details of what is in v3 yet though Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: