Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Do I Need "Silent Voice"
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I Need "Silent Voice"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Do I Need "Silent Voice" Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I was trying to "set my Tomtom to be able to just have the audible warnings for cameras as opposed to have to go through the rigmarole of setting up a route. I could not seem to see how it could be done. I did see a suggestion of selecting a greyed out voice but that kept giving me a message about not having selected a voice so I gave up on that. Next i saw something somewhere about a "silent voice" so it's selected but all you'll hear are your warnings.
So, firstly am I just looking wrong and I CAN set things up with just warnings withoute planning routes or secondly if not, can someone steer me towardsa slinent voice that's maybe free on this site.

thanks

ian
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, silent voice will help you. You should have a look Here.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These days, it really helps if you say what TomTom you've got and what software you're running, as the menus/features aren't the same across the range any more.

If you have a 520/720/920, you could try the "disable voice" option in voice preferences (although if you use the computer voice to do your alerts, they will get muted too.
Otherwise the silent voice is the answer. If1977's link just took me to the index page, but you could try one of these:
http://www.yournav.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=11248
http://www.gpsice.co.uk/silentvoice.html
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy, I think he has a TomTom ONE.

tuttifrutti, I must admit, I can't see the point of the "Silent Voice", unless I'm missing something, If the TomTom isn't running a route, then it won't be telling you where to go. If you then go into the setup warning sounds again, and where you ticked "Warn when on route", untick the box, do this on all the warnings, don't change the distances or anything, and click yes, "Is this the sound you want", like before, but this time, TomTom will warn you of ANY camera in your vercinity, including side streets etc, not just the cameras on your route, because you haven't got a route set. The only drawback is, when you are on a route, it will still warn you of cameras in side streets etc, but I can live with that.
tuttifrutti
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

@ Andy - yes, sorry, it's the Tomtom One Europe.

@ Tanda - I think you've answered my question to be honest. If i'd have to go in and adjust all of those settings every time I set off then it would be a bit silly. I was just wondering if it could be done but it doesn't look like it so i'll be going with the silent voice and planning a route.

Another thought sprang to mind - I may not always know exactly where i'm going but still want the warnings so if I had the silent voice on and just put in a random post code like in Manchester or something would it work like that to keep firing the warnings at me or would it just spend so much time recalculating routes etc that it would just get confused and not warn me

Thanks

Ian
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuttifrutti

I found that using the silent voice method the map seemed to lag behind your location by a good few seconds so I just pick a greyed out voice and when it shows on the screen you just press select and then ok to any warnings, you can then enter a route and so long as you are using the ogg file method of warnings you will be warned of speedcams but not given any directions.

theripper
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tanda, another use for the silent voice is if you have a TT with mp3 player.
At the moment on my 720, even if I put music on the car radio via the FM transmitter and leave navigation instructions on the internal speaker; the music still mutes every time there is an instruction.

One of my standard routes home is along a dual carriageway with a string of roundabouts every few hundred yards. By the time the TT has announced what I should do THREE times for each one (300 yards before, on approach and as I go round), the music only plays for a few seconds (especially if you have one of the more verbose TTS voices selected), it's ridiculous!!

(Incidentally, before anyone suggests it, the option to "disable early warning instructions" in "voice preferences"/"speech preferences" doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference when you have a TTS voice selected.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: