Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - nokia maploader camera alerts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

nokia maploader camera alerts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emilko79
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: nokia maploader camera alerts Reply with quote

anyone know speed camera alerts for nokia maploader?
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nokia Maploader is for....errr...loading Nokia maps onto a compatible Nokia phone, such as the 6110 Navigator.

AFAIK there aren't any speed cams available. Speed cam alerts are available for Route66, which comes with the 6110, via the menus within Route66.

astro
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the speed cameras on the the Route 66 application work on the Nokia, I have never seen any evidence to support this so far, so I am quite interested to hear if they actually do anything on the device when driving? - Mike
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

Just for clarity, there are two satnav apps available on the 6110 (and others). Route 66 comes pre-installed on the 6110 with GB & NI - other WE maps available on accompanying CD, which you need to load and then purchase the licence.

Nokia Maps is a different and freebie application downloadable from the Nokia site, with free maps. It's a perfectly usable satnav routing mechanism, BUT voice instructions are a chargeable extra delivered via your phone and could thus be a tad expensive. This is the app that uses Nokia Maploader (oddly enough, to load the maps Laughing ), and AFAIK there aren't any custom loadable POIs for it, unlike R66. Also, if in a location where you haven't loaded a map, they're downloadable via the phone. Handy. Just did this in FL, USA, and it worked well.

I have both loaded and use them.

I've not yet had the opportunity to check the R66 cams out in anger during a car trip (not making that many at the moment, been in the US anyway but may well check tomorrow on an adventure to sexy Swindon) but I have used the 6110 and R66 in walking mode to navigate my way by foot around London Embarassed . The cam alerts seem to work fine then, and have lots of opportunities to beep, indicating the proximity of a cam - gets a bit embarrassing on foot, though, especially as my walking pace is somewhat slower than 30mph Rolling Eyes

Camera categories are:

Buslane 30
End section control 50 and 70
Redlight
Redlight 30, 40, 50
Section Speed
Section Speed 30, 40, 50, 60, 70
Speed ? (presumably an unknown limit)
Speed 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70

There's a facility to update monthly, but I've switched this off.

I'll update you once I've used it in anger in driving, rather than walking, mode, but if they work when on foot, then surely they'll work in the car.

astro
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK Mike for public consumption....

Checked it out today. The R66 cam warnings work perfectly well in car. They're customisable for distance before warning, and warning sound. One can choose visual warning, audible warning, or both.

I suspect that they're somewhat less comprehenesive in coverage than the PGPSW alerts (no surprise there, then). What we need is a genius to convert the PGPSW warnings into something usable by Symbian phones (BIG HINT) in the Nokia proprietary format........any volunteers??? Laughing

astro
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two of us are looking at it, I am not too sure it will be possible though the format is specific to the R66 Symbian software i.e. encripted and I am not too surprised you find the coverage a tad sparse with around 5000 locations covering the whole of the UK, far short of the database from this site - Mike
astrocompass
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK let's try it the other way around - check out this link:

http://danielkwood.googlepages.com/index

Not tried it, but it appears to offer a way to convert ov2 to 6110 compatible - and now, of course, we know where to load them.... Laughing

astro

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: