Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Older devices removed from Mio update server?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Older devices removed from Mio update server?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Older devices removed from Mio update server? Reply with quote

Odd, I just reinstalled Miomap 3.1 (to try and fix a problem I've been having) and checked using the updater tool for the update to Miomap 3.2 on a C710. I received a reply saying no update available. (Of course I deleted the cache files on the PC).

I reinstalled 3.2 manually (I had made a back up) and checked again for a later version of 3.2 - nothing available.

I checked manually using the update server listed in the config file (http://www.mio-tech.be/updates/miomap/) and directly at the Mooshikan server - nothing available for Miomap 3.2 and the old entries have been removed :-(

Best to be careful then if you're using an older device because online updates seem to be completely unavailable (? temporarily).
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something similar happened to me.

I've contacted Mio support and will post any update(s) here.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

GPS_FAN Where? On this site, or did you miss out a link? Sad
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I meant here in this thread.

No link missed - here, in this thread....IF I get any kind of response
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Something similar happened to me.

Sorry, I misinterpreted your post to read 'I've contacted Mio support and THEY will post any update(s) here' Embarassed Embarassed hence I assumed that a link was missing. Stupid of me to even think that MIO might answer as they seem to have left us *10 owners in the cold again. Crying or Very sad

I'll try reading things a bit better in future (perhaps) Wink
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news from Mio:
Quote:
The removal of the 3.2 updates was a temporary measure to cope with
server problems. They definitely return online.

Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Good news from Mio:
Quote:
The removal of the 3.2 updates was a temporary measure to cope with
server problems. They definitely return online.

Thanks. But this is worrying - they've removed support for a whole range of relatively new devices.

I gave buying advice to someone today and recommended that they buy TomTom and not Mio - TT customer support is deeply flawed (maybe not quite as poor as Mio's reputation) but at least their servers provide support including bug fix support.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had a response within a few minutes of my contact returning to the office after an extended Christmas break and I don't think you can ask for much better than that.

Since I've had direct contact details for Mio, the support I've received has been excellent.

If you really are so unhappy with the support from Mio, then perhaps you could try using the contact details which I gave you some time ago and see if your opinion changes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a Mio chip implant but I do believe in giving credit where credit's due and surely if you can post a message on here, you could have e-mailed Mio in the same amount of time and possibly got a more fruitful response.

Yes, Mio has its faults - but are TT, Garmin et al perfect?

DennisN is on at least the 7th TT GO720 and it's still not working to his satisfaction.

Is it better that Mio leave files on an unreliable server or temporarily remove them?
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Well, I had a response within a few minutes of my contact returning to the office after an extended Christmas break and I don't think you can ask for much better than that.

Since I've had direct contact details for Mio, the support I've received has been excellent.

If you really are so unhappy with the support from Mio, then perhaps you could try using the contact details which I gave you some time ago and see if your opinion changes.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a Mio chip implant but I do believe in giving credit where credit's due and surely if you can post a message on here, you could have e-mailed Mio in the same amount of time and possibly got a more fruitful response.

Yes, Mio has its faults - but are TT, Garmin et al perfect?

DennisN is on at least the 7th TT GO720 and it's still not working to his satisfaction.

Is it better that Mio leave files on an unreliable server or temporarily remove them?

Well, I found my own workaround - I had backed up the files manually and used the transfer hack to put them back on the device when the server provided a no show.

To be honest I've found posting here more helpful in terms of solutions than e-mailing Mio support so I just continued as previously - it wasn't a direct problem for me and I figured that if Mitac had removed all files (including basic software files) for a whole range of devices then there wasn't much point me e-mailing them to let them know what they had done. Some of the Dutch language Mio forums are very active and I thought that someone there would have flagged up the unacceptability of it with Mitac.

In such a competitive market place it is really kamikaze behaviour for a company to cease bug fix support for a range of devices that were cutting edge 8 months ago and then to completely cease all online update support for the same devices without warning even temporarily. It isn't possible to recommend such a company's products to anyone other than an enemy.

I think it's a shame because I don't doubt that Mitac Europe has some very talented people working for it but the situation whereby there have been no bug fixes for nearly a year to a product that was less than 8 months ago the flag ship product calls in to question whether or not Mio is serious about its customers.

I wouldn't buy TomTom myself but that's only because I have the confidence, with the help of posters to these forums, to try and work out some of the basic problems that still haven't been fixed by Mio.
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment.

Mio support is generally poor if you go through the usual route. However, if you were to use the e-mail addresses I gave you, I think that your view might change
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_Fan
Perhaps you would share this magic email address with the rest of us? Very Happy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic? Nah, your avatar might have spent some time at Hogwarts, but not me - I'm a muggle Wink
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mio forum on the Gpspassion is another option for us mio fans, but i guess you already know that!!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: