Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Far more specs cameras planned inc long distance ones
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Far more specs cameras planned inc long distance ones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Far more specs cameras planned inc long distance ones Reply with quote

See the story here.

Evil or Very Mad

Link edit for clarity - Oldboy
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another part of this article which grabbed my attention was
Quote:
With safety camera partnerships no longer keeping the cash raised by speed traps within their boundaries, the financial incentive for installing yet more high-earning traditional cameras has disappeared.

Whilst most people would probably to see no cameras, I feel that average speed cameras are possibly a fairer system than individual fixed cameras.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
Whilst most people would probably to see no cameras, I feel that average speed cameras are possibly a fairer system than individual fixed cameras.

plus it has the affect of 'teaching' people to drive at the correct speed over a distance rather than for 20m at a camera! after all, these are 'safety' cameras so this is what they should aim for!

MaFt
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:

In the car, I much prefer fixed cameras because you can just slow down for the camera and then be on your way again. On the bike, I much prefer SPECS cameras because I can do whatever speed I want and they don't see me! Twisted Evil
peasemore
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: SPECS & BIKERS Reply with quote

One assumes they could in theory reorientate specs so they read back plates Question

They certainly would if front plates were abolished here, which they seem to have been in most of US Very Happy
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be much longer before you have to log each journey you make into the central computer and GPS will tell it when you leave and arrive. Get there faster than you should and an automatic fine goes out.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Won't be much longer before you have to log each journey you make into the central computer and GPS will tell it when you leave and arrive. Get there faster than you should and an automatic fine goes out.
Probably true at some future point, but for now the Mobile Phone network couldn't actually handle that amount of data, it would simply keel over and die. I cannot see any other way of getting data from 20+ million cars on a daily basis - it would have to be real tme which means GPRS.

If the authorities are toying with such a scheme it would be interesting to see how they will sort out driving around certain military establishments and test ranges that jam the GPS signal from time to time - it simply will not work, and building a jammer is not too difficult at all - I agree it is illegal but easy to do all the same, no valid signal and the authorities are blind, with the exception of the camera networks currently being installed, I have even seen a jammer that is commercially available designed to defeat such a system!

For the next 5 to 10 years the mainstay of fines will be camera based, it would be nice to see some images of the proposed three types of averaging camera though, currently only SPECS has the type approval for use, two additional ones are being tested according to the article, anyone any details? - Mike
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
it would be nice to see some images of the proposed three types of averaging camera though, currently only SPECS has the type approval for use, two additional ones are being tested according to the article, anyone any details? - Mike

Perhaps the Blackwall Tunnel cameras are one of the new time and distance cameras they are testing?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
plus it has the affect of 'teaching' people to drive at the correct speed over a distance rather than for 20m at a camera! after all, these are 'safety' cameras so this is what they should aim for!

Not sure about that, i would imagine people would speed up after being held up by traffic or anything else just to maintain an average speed, and thats not encouraging safe motoring.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: