Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Home and map installs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Home and map installs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: TomTom Home and map installs Reply with quote

I have TomTom Navigator 6 with maps of Western Europe on DVD.

I'm trying to install a map but TomTom HOME won't copperate. It initally loads up then when you click anything it freezes up and goes into the "Not Responding" state, until you physically kill the process from the task manager!

Is there any way to install the maps without going through TomTom HOME as it's just not working.
SpikeyMikey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having just looked at the HOME directory on my hard disk there are 3 folders CONTENT, DOWNLOADS and BACKUPS.

In the downloads directory are the .cab and .toc files relating to my map. I'm guessing (make backups) that if you copy the corresponding cab and toc files to that directory from your DVD and then start HOME, the map will then appear in the list. As far as I know HOME will only help you load downloaded maps etc from the website

I'm sure someone will point out a blindingly obvious way of doing it automatically, and shoot me down in flames, but if not ..............
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you can copy the mapping info directly to the card using a card reader. You will need to get the correct folder name at the top level of the card. For the kit you have I believe Western Europe will do. I downloaded my maps and V6 upgrade from the web - so I haven't done it from DVD. The last time I did an install from CD/DVD for TTNav TTHome hadn't been inmvented (thankfully) Rolling Eyes

The problem is that it is a large file transfer and Windows will report that TTHome is not responding - when in fact it is busy working away - but slowly. If you go way and have a cup of coffee it will finish.

EDITED - notes clash with SPIKEY. So disregard the first part of this reply - it's obviously changed with the advent of TTHOME. If the maps are in .CAB format you should be able to copy this to the card and install from there - but you will need a large card as you need twice the map size! I would recommend the cup of coffee Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: