Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Charging Streetpilot C550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Charging Streetpilot C550

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nevgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Charging Streetpilot C550 Reply with quote

I purchased both a mains charger & a 12v car charger for the C550, both of which use the USB port.
On connection of either the unit powers up and automatically assumes that you are connected to a PC & defaults to the PC connection screen.
The unit will not allow you to change to navigation mode (not much use when in the car using the 12v charger) & on disconnection of the charger, the unit remains powered up in PC connection mode and will not power down.
Does anyone know if this is a "design" feature or am I missing something?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention this. I tried to use my 660 out of it's supplied powered connector the other day. (I was in a friends car as a passenger). Plugging the USB to mini-USB into a 12V adapter and directly into the 660 did exactly the same - totally useless as a navigation device - but OK for charging.

Does the 550 have a powered mount for use in the vehicle? Seems like GARMIN have decided the nuvi 660 should only be used in the mount.
nevgreen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 550 came with a combined cable for power & traffic antenna for use in a vehicle. This works fine as it does not use the USB port (connected directly to the unit but via a different port). However, it's bulky and the TMC does not work in my area anyway. I therefore wanted to use a seperate 12v car charger to limit the cable chaos in the car & tidy things up - at which point I ran into the stated problem!
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Streetpilot C550 Reply with quote

nevgreen wrote:

You have 3 options :-

1) Buy the in-car Power Lead Part Number: 010-10747-03 . This is the lead you get as standard with the C510 - I got a spare from an eBay seller for about £8.

2) Modify the USB charger, and decrease the value of the resistor (or add one if not present) between the 'last two' pins. See this webpage. I've not tried this one myself, but I think what you are actually doing is enabling the Fleet Management Interface, by doing this. (It's possibly Nüvi 3xx series specific)

3) Before connecting the USB charger, hold the TIME for about 7 seconds until you enter diagnostics. THEN connect the charger and press Exit to leave diagnostics. This enables the undocumented Garmin USB GPS Device Mode - and can be a little unstable ...

The best solution, is of course, number 1 Smile
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Streetpilot C550 Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
nevgreen wrote:

1) Buy the in-car Power Lead Part Number: 010-10747-03 . This is the lead you get as standard with the C510 - I got a spare from an eBay seller for about £8.

Mine didn't (my C510T) but then like the C550s, that's probably because it came with the GTM21.

I've got an i3, haven't thought to check that, will that work? Do the other Garmin USB port chargers have the pins modified to just supply current?
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Streetpilot C550 Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
nevgreen wrote:

1) Buy the in-car Power Lead Part Number: 010-10747-03 .

Ah - this cable looks like the one that fits into the mounting bracket for my 660. OK I have the one with the GTM21 - but the connector looks very similar.

Quote:

2) Modify the USB charger, and decrease the value of the resistor (or add one if not present) between the 'last two' pins. See this webpage. I've not tried this one myself, but I think what you are actually doing is enabling the Fleet Management Interface, by doing this. (It's possibly Nüvi 3xx series specific)

Ok - could be done - but you still end up with a 'special' cable for use with the unit - which you are bound to loose/leave somewhere. I would prefer to use any standard off-the-shelf cable so...

Quote:

3) Before connecting the USB charger, hold the TIME for about 7 seconds until you enter diagnostics. THEN connect the charger and press Exit to leave diagnostics. This enables the undocumented Garmin USB GPS Device Mode - and can be a little unstable ...

I'll give this a try on my 660 (different way of getting into diag mode of course)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: