Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - savez moi?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

savez moi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:51 am    Post subject: savez moi? Reply with quote

Hi i am looking for guidance.

I want a PDA based GPS with plug in (maybe Fortuna PocketXTrack?) for use mainly backpacking, wild camping and the like.

Obviously there are battery, protective case, software, compatibility issues.

For example iPaq 2210 or 4510?
which case? which GPS plug in thingy? what cables, ...

The list seems endless and as soon as I reach a conclusion. Well some new kit arrives on the web to start the whole process off again.

I would like a unit that will integrate with a laptop and possibly with handheld unit SporTrak Color (EU database)

As the title suggests: help?

BBB 8O
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as a first suggestion you may want to stop fooling around with BB codes.

For Backtracking I would recommend a BlueTooth device, and one with a datalogger (a la RGM 3000) Then a BT enabled PDA - most of the newer ones are) and an Otterbox to protect the PDA from the elements.

Et voilá ...

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are going to be doing a lot of hiking and want rich color landranger style maps, either on PC or Pocket PC then I'd go for a Bluetooth (RoyalTek RBT 3000) for datalogging. I'd also add a 2210 to this for light walking.

You can use a Magellan or Garmin handheld and load MapSource onto it, but if you want the same style of maps you would get from a paper map, then the Pocket PC is the way to go.
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bonjour, merci et bien

Being a fool for toys I would like both!

I discarded Bluetooth because of battery/power issues. That is not to inflict any harm on bluetooth at all. It just means I can carry fewer batteries.

A hand held seems a very good idea. As does a PPC with plug in thingy

Thank you for your help and advice

BBB
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various BT GPS's, some come with integral batteries that last for up to 14 hours, some that come with AAA batteries allowing you to go and buy some batteries down at the local shop, or use rechargeables, so you have multiple options there of either travelling light, or travelling heavy with extra batteries.

Don't forget that you could always use a solar charger, I'm not sure how well these work with BT GPS's, or how long they need to be connected, but this also is another option.

If it weren't for dangling cables I'd probably go the handheld GPS route, connecting via a cable to a PDA that way you get good rich maps and a decent GPS which you can still use as a backup with screen if your Pocket PC battery goes flat.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Therei s another reason to go with BlueTooth - the watertight boxes normally only have enough space for the PocketPC, but not for the CF GPS - and it is a constraint on usability as well since the CF GPS needs to be held "to the sky" which may interfere with how you're looking at the screen, or maybe have to tuck the box away etc. BT devices can be positioned in the top of your backpack, and they can work continuously.

Solar chargers are working just fine - I have successfully charged both the PDA and the BT receiver (of course only one at a time) while on bicycle trips. Not sure though if you get enough of the yellow stuff where you live.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah Lutz - it has been a very nice year for the yellow orb

Today it looked glorious 8) ot Rolling Eyes

My steep learning curce is going onwards and upwards - a GPS datalogging independent of a screen? = lovely :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: