Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Uploading tracks/waypoints to PC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Uploading tracks/waypoints to PC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:01 pm    Post subject: Uploading tracks/waypoints to PC Reply with quote

Does anyone know a way to upload individual tracks and waypoints from the GPS unit to Memory Map /Mapsource.

I can transfer all tracks etc OK but this duplicates what is already in Memory Map so that I have to go through it deleting the duplicates.

Thanks

Brian
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to save the old file and start a new one in Mapsource. Mapsource lets you save many files. Keep one set of waypoints, tracks, routes in one file. Save another set in another.

I create a new one for each major location or major trip.

When I go on vacation I save all of the waypoints and tracks to one file. I can then go back and review what I did on that trip.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Crazyfingers.

Thats fine for Mapsource but I tend to use Memory Map more than Mapsource.

Memory Map wont easily do this, bit of a failing I think as it will allow individual tracks, routes, waypoints etc to be uploaded to the GPS

Brian
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can always delete the old tracks etc from the GPS before you do the download. This assumes you have already saved them on a previous occasion. This is what I do - once I have downloaded the tracklog I don't see why it needs to remain on the GPS - it doesn't really serve a purpose unless you want to repeat a walk I guess.
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always delete the tracks once I've saved them onto the computer. I can always put them back onto the GPS if I want them but I've never seen the need.

I like to keep all of my waypoints on the GPS all the time. When I download the tracks and waypoints for a certain trip all the waypoints copy over too of course. I save the file for the name of the trip and then delete the waypoints.

In Mapsource it's really very easy to delete waypoints. I just highlight on the computer the map regions that I did not visit. that highlights the waypoints in the region. Then press delete. It takes perhaps 30 seconds to delete all of the 200+ waypoints that are unrelated to a particular trip.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brian,

Yes, the "object" handling/editing in MM needs improvement. However, MM does do an excellent job of joining together all the "Active Log" fragments that Garmins tend to produce (whenever the GPS position is lost). I prefer to work with the Active Logs, because only they contain time data. But Active Logs can't be selectively deleted in the GPS.

The work-around that I've adopted is to rename the Track, Mark and Route categories (select, left-click and edit) in MM's Overlay Properties window. Then the data imported from the GPS is put into new default categories. Drag the tracks, etc., that you want out of these categories, and then you can delete the whole category in one shot (right-click).

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: