Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 720 Demo Mode
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

720 Demo Mode

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: 720 Demo Mode Reply with quote

After an hour in Demo mode on a 3 hour journey my 720 went back to the Home location and restarted the Demo by itself.
The battery level was about 40% when this happened.

Is the Demo mode supposed to do the complete Journey, or is there a time limit?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demo mode has always stopped short of showing the entire duration of a journey if its over about 30 mins, this is the same for all the TomTom devices - Mike
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where is demo mode.. can't find it
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

View Route/ Show route demo it will then show you what it would do when in use on the route you have planned, I use this mode for checking out the speed camera warnings as it is cheaper and less damaging than drivng around to see if the warnings are working Wink - Mike
mpwilson99
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something I really wish it would `play` right to the end, rather then giving up at some point. I take it there is no real technical reason why it stops?

I have noticed that depending on the play speed it can get further or shorter.

I have always wanted to see my dream trip to ibiza in full, but sadly i only get as far as about 50 miles after the eurotunnel give or take.

BTW, why does tomtom seem keen in moving the DEMO wording around the screen, i think in version 5 it was bottom right, in 6 it was bottom centre, and in version 7 its now top centre.

Cheers
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Demo mode has always stopped short of showing the entire duration of a journey if its over about 30 mins, this is the same for all the TomTom devices - Mike

Seriously? Let me make sure I understand. If I want to dry run a route, say a 5 hour road trip, it won't simulate the entire route?

I particularly like simulating routes on my iQue, often over 5 hours long. TomTom only simulates part of the way? Really?

___

By the way, the iQue does a funny thing. Sometimes it falls off the route in simulation mode. It will often jump onto a side street while going down the freeway. It then recalculates the route to get back onto the freeway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wasn't joking when I posted the above information, if you need more detailed dry runs use the AtoB planning an break the demo up into smaller chunks, I cannot see the real advantage in sitting in front of any device for hours watching a demo though.
Only the destination is important if you don't know the road detail - Mike
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I cannot see the real advantage in sitting in front of any device for hours watching a demo though.

I enjoy letting the GPS go for a drive while I'm working on the computer in the office. Silly perhaps but I enjoy it. Many days at work I'll tell the GPS to go to all kinds of different places.

It's starting to look like I will not be able to upgrade from my Garmin iQue 3600 any time soon.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crazyfingers wrote:
mikealder wrote:
I cannot see the real advantage in sitting in front of any device for hours watching a demo though.

I enjoy letting the GPS go for a drive while I'm working on the computer in the office. Silly perhaps but I enjoy it. Many days at work I'll tell the GPS to go to all kinds of different places.

It's starting to look like I will not be able to upgrade from my Garmin iQue 3600 any time soon.

Let's be realistic here. TomTom will not be too worried if they don't get you personally as a customer. What they care about is a way for the gazillions of devices on the shop floor to show something running. And I didn't yet see a customer in a shop or at a fair/exhibition to sit/stand through a 30 minute simulation.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:

Let's be realistic here. TomTom will not be too worried if they don't get you personally as a customer. What they care about is a way for the gazillions of devices on the shop floor to show something running. And I didn't yet see a customer in a shop or at a fair/exhibition to sit/stand through a 30 minute simulation.

My only comment is that it appears that at this time there are no GPS units that would represent a suitable upgrade to my iQue.

And note that I don't need the PDA functionality.

It really is sad that GPS units today appear to lack the features and functionality that I have in a GPS unit that I purchased in 2003.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: