Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - DATA BASE AND TOMTOM
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

DATA BASE AND TOMTOM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:21 pm    Post subject: DATA BASE AND TOMTOM Reply with quote

Been looking through the FAQ's and am a bit confused, pardon my ignorance but I have just bought a TomTom 710 and have a couple of questions:
1.What do I gain from using GPS world data base rather than TomTom data base?
2. Do I have to update my POI's somehow to run GPS data base?
3. I am going to France /Belgium on holiday,could anybody give me an idiots list of what I need to download.

Thanks,
Ady.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1:
Quite a lot!
Tomtom database covers fewer camera types and has less actual cameras logged.

TomTom database has a FIXED alert distance for ALL speeds.
PGPSW database allows you to set custom warning distance for every speed and type of camera (you need more warning for mobiles and for faster speeds).

TomTom database has a FIXED alert "bleep" as its only warning sound.
PGPSW database allows you to set a custom alert sound for every different type of camera/ speed limit - including voice warnings if you want ("Warning, Gatso ahead, 30mph limit", sort of thing)

TomTom database costs more after the free trial period, if you got one.

TomTom database is updated less often.

2:
No, you just add them as custom POI categories.
Involves copying two or three files (the data and the icon, plus an optional voice warning if you want one) for each camera type/speed. Takes me 2 minutes to do once a fortnight.
You have to set up all the warning distances and sounds the first time (which takes 5-10 minutes if you opt for the full speed-zoned version of the database) but those settings are remembered when you update, so you only have to do it once.

If you really want, you can also install them using TomTom's "Home" utility, but most people find it easier to just copy and paste.

3:
Once you have subscribed (£2/month or £19/year), you go to the camera download page (the big blue camera sign) and it will then let you download the files.
Chose the TomTom ov2 as your SatNav system.
Choose either the single file version for simplicity or one of the other versions for better detail (like the speed limit). See the download page for links explaining your options in much more detail, as well as full instructions.

Choose the UK one for the UK and the EUR one for the continent.

Be aware that the PGPSW database for the UK is generally considered the best, but the European database is quite "young". There are other European databases around, (e.g. the SCDB one) which used to be more comprehensive, but there may not be much difference now.
Adyc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: THANKS Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Andy much appreciated.
Ady.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: