Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - False Alarms
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

False Alarms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
akdavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: False Alarms Reply with quote

In one 3hour journey I counted 14 camera alarms yet there were only two cameras. The rest were bridges, lay bys and stretches of dual carriageway where there may have been previous roadworks. I update my Garmin every month and all the constant beeping is driving me insane. What's happening?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible Mobile Camera Sites?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to tell what TYPE of alarm you are getting, you need to have opted for one of the versions of the database which splits the cameras up into types or types and speeds.
The single file "all cameras in one" version will behave exactly as you report.
akdavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did download the separate files, and deleted the temps before transferring to my Satnav. I seem to get beeped at every place there may ever have been a camera at any time!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what does the display show? 14 cameras in 3hrs driving is hardly unusual, I could drive down the A3 and get 10 in 5 miles!

If they're reported mobile site locations then we put them in the database, if you don't want to be warned about potential mobile sites (and its these that catch most drivers) then don't install the mobile file?
akdavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The display shows a camera icon approaching and a speed alert of xxmph.They are often 70mph alerts on major dual carriageways where there may have been roadworks several months before. Are you notified when these works are finished? Do you want to be by members?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are notified and we do remove them but we always welcome notifications from members. Can you give me a location and I can check what we have recorded for there?

I doubt they are roadworks, you wouldn't get a 70mph limit in roadworks!
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
70mph alerts on major dual carriageways where there may have been roadworks several months before.

Then they would have been temp cameras which you said you deleted. Also temp cameras are more liekly to be 40 or 50 mph.

Really we'd need a more precise location, details of your route or the camera database ID numbers.

However from your first post you mention

Quote:
bridges, lay bys

these are prime mobile sites which are not always manned, therefore you'll get an alert even if there is no unit present.

Quote:
Are you notified when these works are finished? Do you want to be by members?

Yes and yes. You can do this on the Camera Download page if you scroll down. You need the Camera ID numbers though.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hardly worth deleting the temp cameras - there are only five on the latest database (18th June).
Mobiles are the probable cause. I did at one time not transfer the 70mph mobiles, on the grounds that they only show the national speed limit - if I don't know what that is, I'm not fit to be out there behind a steering wheel. But I have gone back to transferring them, just as reminders on motorways and dual carriageways.

Remember, the mobile cameras will be in operation only once a blue moon at any given site - the attraction of mobile cameras is that the authorities keep you guessing (and not speeding) by shifting them from site to site, during the day and on different days.

There's a site on the Avon Ring Road round Bristol which always howls at me and I drive that way probably a dozen times a week. Yesterday afternoon I saw a van there for only the second time in a couple of years. But it only needs those two occasions to get you (not me - I'm a nice driver!).

For goodness sake, please DO report cameras, both going up and coming down - I and many others (including you) benefit from all the reporting. Note, pgpsw also ask you to report when you actually see a mobile camera in operation (as I did yesterday). It doesn't do me any good, except that pgpsw record that it has actually been seen "recently" so as to justify keeping it in the database.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

akdavis wrote:
The display shows a camera icon approaching and a speed alert of xxmph.

So what does it look like?

A= B= C= D= E= F= G= H=

or none of the above?
akdavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. The ex-roadworks are 40 or 50 and the bridges and etc are the 70's. There's an ex-roadworks phantom stretch on the A12 going West at junction 27ish that I've long since learned to ignore. Question, - if I download the individual files, unzip and then delete the temps and/or mobiles before transferring does that leave the last lot of temps still in my Garmin or is everything wiped before the new stuff goes in? Secondly, is it possible for the alert to show maybe T for temp or F for fixed or similar?It does show "Redlight" when appropriate and that's useful. Thanks to you all for your responses today, I appreciate it.
akdavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy-P002,
Never looked that closely, and didn't know they were different. I'll pay more attention next time.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Sat Nav are you using?
akdavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, Garmin Street Pilot 320
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked, is that it will help to find out what version of the database you've installed and what type of camera they might be.

As for your "F" or "T" idea, assuming the Garmin works the same as the TomTom (and looking at the bitmap icons in the Garmin version of the downloads, it does), so long as you have either the "consolidated by type" version or preferably the "speed-zoned" version, you can have whatever you like as the on-screen warning image (so long as you can fit it into a 22x22 pixel box!).

For example, I don't use the standard Gatso or any of the mobile or specs images provided in the download (icons A plus C to H above). I made my own which all have the big speed limit sign and the word "Mobile" or "Specs" below it. Like this: and
PM me with an email address if you want to try those.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: