Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom ONE Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom ONE Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: TomTom ONE Europe Reply with quote

my m8 phoned me today and said he had bought one,but it dont come with a sd card like my 300 did.
with mine i just put my sd card into a card reader and do all my poi and speed camera updates and backup onto the card.
my question is he said he has to do it all with tomtom home but has had problems with that in the past.can he just explore the device and drop all the poi and speed warnings into the map folder or will he have to use the home program.
same thing for backup of his device to pc
many thxs if you can help
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome,

As you suggest he can do most things without using Home and in fact for backing up his unit it is better to do it through Explorer (as long as all file types are showing). Basically, drag and drop.

The same is true if you want to put POIs on the unit - just drag and drop into the map folder on the TT.

The only time you need Home is to update the TT software (whenever there are updates available) or to add maps. The software update is free from the TT website. The maps you pay for and can only download using home.

This is a short answer - if you need more specific help then there is lots of information available on the site - just use search. Or just post a question and you are sure to get lots of replies.

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He can do it on the PC, with windows explorer. Use explorer to do a backup with "show hidden files and folders" ticked, and untick " Hide file extensions of known file types", in (My Computer/Control panel/Folder options), then burn it onto CD for a perminant copy.
hoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thxs for quick replys
didnt know about the hide known file types(learn something every day)
i am a bit old school use sd card so was scared to do it for him incase i broke it.just need to work out what the empty sd slot is for (time to read the manual)
did a bit of forum searching can i put the speed warning voices on it like i have eg gatso,specs,redlight or is it a diffrent sound format to the sd card types
thxs again for the fast reply
ps i bought my card reader in poundland for you guessed it £1 and it works perfect
RQ
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed cameras and voices from here will work perfectly with his TT One - the best couple of quid he can spend.

Well except for a nice bar of Cadburys Fruit and Nut

TT1v3 6.560 1713 UK&NI 660.1199
TTG700 6.520 1387 MoWE 660.1219
hoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thxs rq
see if the tight sod will get some fruit and nut for us
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like your mates device is equipped with internal Flash memory hence the empty SD card slot. This vacant slot is for the addition of other maps should your mate want to travel to a country not on the internal flash memory.
Lets say he was going to the USA, you could purchase the USA maps put them on an SD card along with the application and voices then put it in the device, the TomTom will boot from the SD card and leave the internal Flash alone (its a shame you cannot share memory between the two locations - but thats not possible).
Just because this unit is using Flash memory it is still most important that you fully back up the device to your PC, this can be achieved using TomTom Home, or my prefered method is to use Windows Explorer, see #1 of the FAQ Page for more details
For a second removable media style back-up you might need to burn to DVD as the units with Flash AFAIK contain the Europe mapping which is around the 1GB in file size - Mike
hoot
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thxs have to tell him to get a dvd disc to burn it onto,and you saved me reading the manual to see what the slot was for
thxs again
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The slot is just the same as the old one. You can use it as delivered with everything installed on the big memory OR you can put in a card with the software and maps on that.
Bizarrely, they didn't make it so you can use both at once.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: