Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie nuvi 250 questions please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie nuvi 250 questions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tally100
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Newbie nuvi 250 questions please Reply with quote

have bought a Nuvi 250 with v9 can I ask a couple of questions please.

1, I have just used it for the first time and on 2 occasions it said to turn right when I knew I should turn left then within 100m it said recalculating as if it knew it had sent me the wrong way is this a fault ?

2, I went passed some cameras on the other side of the road and it didn’t alert me to them but on my side of the road a speed camera sign came up in the corner, I thought it would beep loud to warn me is this not so. Does it need setting up some how as there was not a manual with it just a set up and go pamphlet

Thanks

Tally
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie nuvi 250 questions please Reply with quote

Tally100 wrote:
have bought a Nuvi 250 with v9 can I ask a couple of questions please.

1, I have just used it for the first time and on 2 occasions it said to turn right when I knew I should turn left then within 100m it said recalculating as if it knew it had sent me the wrong way is this a fault ?

I assume that you followed 'your' directions. It says 'recalculating' as it is truing to plan another route because you didn't follow the first one - this is normal behaviour. It you have the system set for 'fastes' route it will sometimes take you down unclassified roads in the Uk as they are 60mph - even though you can't really drive at more than 30, safely, on a lot of them.

Tally100 wrote:

2, I went passed some cameras on the other side of the road and it didn’t alert me to them but on my side of the road a speed camera sign came up in the corner, I thought it would beep loud to warn me is this not so. Does it need setting up some how as there was not a manual with it just a set up and go pamphlet

Which camera database are you using? The in-built trial (CYCLOPS) or PGPSW ? The manual is on the CD and is worth reading - there are a few non-obvious tricks that nuvis have up there sleeves. You certainly wouldn't miss the 'boings'. Did a red banner appear at the top?
Tally100
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil

Thanks for reply, Yes there was a lot of unclassified roads and it was set to fastest route.I followed the nuvi directions even though i knew it was wrong and turned right then it said recalculating !!
i am using in bulit database as i have not done anything with it since i bought it...I have found out this afternoon i have not activated the camera function on my Nuvi on the Garmin website so i have now done it.
It states it is a 90 trial !!! does that mean in 90 days i cannot use it or do i have to purchase a speed camera database from someone.
Yes i missed the boings also i got a small camers picture in the top left hand corner and a red banner across the top saying camera zone
Is this because my sat nav had not been activated ? should it shows cameras on the other side of the road?
There is not a manual in the box and no cd either

Many thanks
i hope not too many questions

Tally
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the cameras..

The Garmin database is a trial, after which it will cost you £24/year to download updates - I think they clain 2 updates per month - but as I don't use it I can't comment.

I would heartily recommend the PGPSW camera database from this site. Click the big speed camera sign or look on the RHS of his page to get more info. It's £2/month or £19/annum and if you are the first to report a new static camera - you get free membership for life. There are also useful utilities like Ash's camera manager (see stickies in this forum) that allow you to manage the download procedure and app warning voices - instead of the dreaded boings. Being monthly - you can choose to do it for one month (possibly getting two updates) and then leave it for a few months to get another set. Membership also allows you access to other member-only forums etc on this site.

As for the recalculating when you did the turn..

Have a glance at the map as the nuvi has some strange 'habits'. Staggered junctions are not handled very well - if it's a close stagger (I go over one that is no more than 5 yds staggered) it will say e.g. "turn right in 200 yds then turn left" when actually it's really carry straight on. By the time it tells you to turn left you will be way past the junction. Don't know about the 250 - but on my 660, if you touch the Next Turn display (bottom RHS of navigation screen) it will repeat the last turn instruction and show you a 2D plan of the turn - very useful at complex turns/unfamiliar territory.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www8.garmin.com/accessories/safetycamera/

it's actually £39 per year

MaFt
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good heavens - PGPSW is now better value than I thought 8O
Tally100
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Phil
With the camera manager you advised is the setting for the distances shown in the picture the default ones and can you alter it and can you make the boing louder or a different sound ,if so how do you do it?, do i have to create the sounds or can i download from some where
Sorry i use a pc but not usually mess with programs will it have a idiots guide Laughing

Cheers
tally

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: