Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - data connection with 910:- Vodaphone PAYG :(
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

data connection with 910:- Vodaphone PAYG :(

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikecymru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: data connection with 910:- Vodaphone PAYG :( Reply with quote

Please help I have used my 910 with a nokia 6230 for about 12 months.

Changed phone for a 6230i and hey the data connection doesnt work, 10 hours on the phone with vodaphone and 6 service setting messages later, they blame my tomtom but i know thats not it(went through similar problem with 6230, cant remember how it got fixed.)

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Mike
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need the APN in two places on your 6230 to work with TomTom,it will work its just not straight forward,firstly on your 6230 can you access WAP pages and can you send photo messages-if yes you are half way there.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is PAYG different from monthly contract then? I've had 6230i on monthly Vodafone contract since bread was invented and never did any of this settings business. Simply tapped my GO to connect and said yes whenever and when the phone asked for the password, entered the usual 0000 and it just all happened. When I tried the free month's Traffic trial, it just happened. I've disconnected and reconnected several times and with more than one GO, with no troubles. I do remember when I first tried to send a photo it didn't happen, so I asked Vodafone and they made it work for me. I seem to remember that was before I tried Traffic.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
My understanding for Vodafone pre-pay is that the only GPRS APN available is pp.vodafone.co.uk, which is the equivalent of the contract user's wap.vodafone.co.uk (Vodafone use the same APN for both WAP and MMS, unlike Orange and possibly other networks). I don't believe Vodafone pre-pay customers have any equivalent of, or access to, internet, which contract users use for full Internet access over GPRS (by the way, the user name and password for internet are both web - which must be in lower case).

I've just tried putting the only Vodafone pre-pay card I have access to into my GPRS phone, and it's so old that it doesn't have GPRS available at all. There again, the phone it's used in doesn't have GPRS and I can't be bothered to call Vodafone to try to get GPRS enabled (if I'm not careful I'll be forced to switch to one of the current range of pre-pay tariffs, which I don't want to do).

Full data is available to prepaid Vodafone in the UK,its just not cheap.

(Mods could you delete my accidental double posting)
mikecymru
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: still got problems Reply with quote

Yes I can send picture messages and get vodaphone live(wap)

Whats an apn?
idiot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pp.vodafone.co.uk is an APN,go into GPRS options in and set this as the default connection. Will try to get some screenshots. An APN is an access point for GPRS data.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idiot wrote:
pp.vodafone.co.uk is an APN,go into GPRS options in and set this as the default connection. Will try to get some screenshots. An APN is an access point for GPRS data.

I have a nokia 6230i working on vodafone pay as you go with the following settings on the tomtom:

Access point name: pp.vodafone.co.uk
User name: wap
Password: wap
Obtain IP address automatically
Obtain DNS server address automatically
Dial: *99#
Login script: at+cgdcont=1,"IP","pp.vodafone.co.uk"

I can connect to tomtom plus with these settings and get the weather but have not tried traffic.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: