Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Nuvi 200 User
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Nuvi 200 User

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben01438
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: New Nuvi 200 User Reply with quote

Hi, just got myself a Nuvi 200 this weekend to use fo work as field engineer.
So far I have foud the supplied instructions & "My Garmin" pretty useless.
One of the reasons I opted for the Nuvi was the customisable POI feature. Now without asking too much into this as no doubt the salsman couldn't tell me anyway I was expecting to be able to list "My" POI and upload them.

What I need to be able to do is I have a couple of hundred addresses for shops we service and they are known to us as a 6 digit number. The controller phones us & gives us a shop number which needs an engineer to attend. Obviously to be able to list the names / numbers of these hops in numerical order is very helpfull.

From what I've read all I seem to understand si "customisable POI" is just you can download already available POI databases & load them onto our nav.
Is this the case or is there a way of doing what I want to do rather than tediously sitting here for hours manually inputing addresses & saving them as favourites.

Also what else would be worth my while adding, it has come with speed cameras on but are voices customisable at all?

Thanks

Ben.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can automate the process.

What I suggest you do is go to the POI database on this forum (see LHS) and download a sample GARMIN POI database.

From this you can see the structure of the file - its a comma separated values (.csv) file that can be created and edited by Excel (or similar)

A typical line would be :
-5.07518 50.41605 POI Name

So it's Lat, Long, Name of POI

So you may need to use something like streetmap or google map to get the Lat Long if you don't already have them.

Another potential issue is that numbers in the names may be treated a 'speed' causing the speed camera warning sound to be triggered if exceeding this speed!

If you name your file then when POILoader loads the POIs to your nuvi it will create a POI category with that name and you will be able to select a POI to navigate to.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 4 columns in a garmin csv are:

Longitude, Latitude, Name, Details

there's a bit of a guide at garminpoi.co.uk/info_new.htm

MaFt
Ben01438
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I've read about it crashing if more han 257 POIs are loaded on. Is this 257 locations or 257 categories of POIs?
Thanks.
tynecomp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben01438 wrote:
Also I've read about it crashing if more han 257 POIs are loaded on. Is this 257 locations or 257 categories of POIs?

257 categories; note that Garmin have issued a new firmware version that fixes this bug for a number of models in the Nuvi range, but I am not sure if it is fixed for all models yet.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: