Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Connecting PDA to Internet - Simple!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting PDA to Internet - Simple!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mixer25
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Connecting PDA to Internet - Simple! Reply with quote

Just to let you know it is very easy to connect Ipaq by bluetooth to mobile phone, you pair devices and simply connect to net.

The number I use is one from UK.net which is 0845 6091370 this number is great for testing connections etc, you need NO password or NO username, although I just put one in anyhow.

Just use it and DIAL and the rate is local to mobile phone tarrif.

As this is my work phone, I was wondering if there was a FREE way anyone knew of dialing up the net by o2?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most ISP's don't give out free numbers, Some will give out a regular local STD code or regional number to allow you to use it and have it deducted from your inclusive minutes, but you usually have to sign up for these and pay a monthly tarrif to them.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the UK mobile networks allow free data calls to 0800 or similar freephone numbers. Orange used to - but removed the ability some time ago.

I believe the best bet for mobile Internet access in many cases is to use your mobile network's GPRS Internet APN, if it's available to you - though it does depend on your mobile tariff as to whether it is affordable.

I use Vodafone GPRS at 235 pence per MByte - it works out far cheaper when using it with the Pocket PC than paying 10p/minute peak (5p/minute off-peak) for dial-up. Apart from Orange's HSCSD service, which only works on some phones and costs more to use, dial-up Internet on GSM is only 9600bps. Vodafone GPRS with my Nokia 6310i can get to around 30000bps download.

David
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're on O2 you can have 100kbs free GPRS access every month on a business tariff. Anything in excess of that is charged at something like £3 a mb.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: