Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio 268 newbie reset problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio 268 newbie reset problems

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BB-Q
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Mio 268 newbie reset problems Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I'm new here, so please forgive me if I put this in the wrong place.

I recently bought a used Mio 268. It came complete with all discs and leads and even it's original box. Bargain.
It was working fine until I tried to update it from the Mio website. Now, despite following the instructions to the letter and several re-installations, several soft resets, several hard resets and the repeated use of the recovery software and disc, it still won't work- the navigation box is greyed out.

Upon carrying out a reset I get the time/date screen etc and then this announcement pops up very briefly:

So briefly, in fact, that it took me 6 attempts to get a photo of that! Confused In fact, editing the image down to the required size for this forum was the first time I ever managed to read it in full!

Now I'm no computer genius, but I'm guessing that the reason it can't find that file is the reason it won't work anymore.

Can anyone please help? It's driving me insane! I tried the Mio "helpline" (from my mobile- I've got 090 numbers barred from my house phone as I don't trust one of the kids) and one £7 phonecall later I'm none the wiser due to some Belgian woman telling me repeatedly that if I do a recovery "it should work". I told her repeatedly: "I know it should work, but it doesn't! :x

Please help- this sat nav is a present for my wife! Crying or Very sad
rfp2001
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have sent you a pm
BB-Q
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you one too. 8)
BB-Q
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right- I've realised what I've done. Embarassed

In my haste to load what I thought was a newer version of the software I loded a V2.0 patch to my V1.0 software. Embarassed

that being the case I still can't work out why the restore function doesn't work.

I'm using Rom version 8- there is a flash rom available of Rom version 16- should I update it?

I'm really at a loss as to what to do next- does anyone have any ideas?
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB-Q
I would sugest that you Flash the 268 with the R16 as it will give you more functions anyway ie TMC
After you have done that you can then get the Mio V3 in a few days and install that and it will be fine.
Dont forget to follow the instructions on the Mio web site on how to do the reflash.
Regards
BB-Q
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will do- thanks.
Where do I get V3?
BB-Q
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I've flashed it to Rom 16 and it's working now. Have just checked the price of the latest maps........

8O

I only paid £48 for the Mio itself!

So I guess when you buy a new sat nav most of the cost is for the software. For those of us at the cheaper end of the scale it would seem more prudent to sell your old unit on Fleabay whenever a new map release comes out and just buy a new one.
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB-Q
Well I,m glad that you got it up and running now, but the V1 maps that you have are now very old. Try and get the V2 if you can or wait and get the V3 which will be out next week, I know it is quite a bit to pay but it is worth it in the end.
I have always found that if you have a good little GPS that is working well why change it, and I must say the the Mio 268 is a pretty good one with not a lot that can go wrong, the Forums are full of people that buy others and have an awfull lot of trouble with them. Unless you are going to use it a lot I would suggest you stick with the one you have, if however you do decide to sell it I would buy it from you so keep in touch.
regards
Etters
BB-Q
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is for my wife, as she's very nervous about getting lost.

I have a VDO dayton GPS head unit in my van and hate it so much I use a street atlas instead!

That said, I shall be trawling Fleabay regularly for something that can have full digit postcode entry to use at work, as people often lie about their
address in an attempt to seem posh- but the postcode can't lie!
etters
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi BB-Q
Fine

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: