Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

Today I joined pocket gps world and downloaded the UK-speed zoned complete.
I clicked on the saved file and a message came up to unzip the file which I did and the files unzipped in a new window.
This is where I am now having the problem.
The instruction guide I printed out from the site then says to connect my 910 to my pc which I have done.
The next instruction then says it is now possible to expand the extract box,locate the the icon with the image of the tom tom go and expand it etc etc etc.
I am lost here, where do I look for this message and what do I do next?
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
The instruction guide I printed out from the site then says to connect my 910 to my pc which I have done.
The next instruction then says it is now possible to expand the extract box,locate the the icon with the image of the tom tom go and expand it etc etc etc.
Did you read this Help Page?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-go-910.php

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
jimmymerlin wrote:
Did you read this Help Page?

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras-tomtom-go-910.php

Thanks for the reply.
Yes I printed out the page to follow but after the image in the help guide that says "Download Complete" the next image gives information on unzipping and all that happens for me is that the file unzips in a different window and I cannot see any instructions to follow to show me how to extract.

I don't see the image that says "extract files from the archive highlighted in yellow"
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different versions of Windows will give slightly different screens.
Don't panic.
All you need to achieve is:
1. Download the archive
2. Unzip it to produce the individual files
3. Copy the unzipped files into the map folder on your Go

It looks like you've already acheived steps 1 and 2.

For step 3, just connect up the Go and look for it as a new hard disk in Windows Explorer (in the same list on the left of the screen where your C: drive and your CD-roms are listed). Once you've found it, have a browse round and open up your map folder (it will be called something obvious like "Western Europe map" or similar). Leave that Explorer window open.
Open up another Explorer window to where the files you extracted from the archive were saved to, select all of them and drag them across to the other (map) window.

When they've all copied, that's it.
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
Today I joined pocket gps world and downloaded the UK-speed zoned complete.
I clicked on the saved file and a message came up to unzip the file which I did and the files unzipped in a new window.
This is where I am now having the problem.
I am lost here, where do I look for this message and what do I do next?

Hi Andy

I have just tried what you sent me through last night. I copied the files across to my TomTom and it went OK.

The guide you told me to look at then eventually says to open the menu on TomTom that says "warn when near POI" It then tells me to find the pocketpgs POIs.

When I did this the first one that came up was the image of a yellow circle in a square box with the following letters after it " L11UUUUUUUUUUUUUU........" then the 1st speed showed after this entry.

On the guide it then says to set your warning distance but I did not get this screen.

What I had was a screen that showed 15 different statements that looked like this:-

107m GATSO :20502 @20
149m GATSO : 2843 @20

Then there was another 13 of them, but as I say this does not look anything like the guide is showing me.

What do I do next please.

Also, when I copy the list of POIs that includes petrol stations, banks etc which file do I put them in in my TomTom and do I need to delete anything that is alreaqdy in there?

Thanks Andy, sorry to cause you all these problems but I just can't get it to work at the moment.

Bye for now

Jimmy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
I have just tried what you sent me through last night. I copied the files across to my TomTom and it went OK.
Can you list which Files you Copied across?

jimmymerlin wrote:
The guide you told me to look at then eventually says to open the menu on TomTom that says "warn when near POI" It then tells me to find the pocketpgs POIs.

When I did this the first one that came up was the image of a yellow circle in a square box with the following letters after it " L11UUUUUUUUUUUUUU........" then the 1st speed showed after this entry.
How did you go about 'finding' the Camera POI? When you use Warn When Near you should only be able to see the Name of the POI and the related Bitmap.

jimmymerlin wrote:
On the guide it then says to set your warning distance but I did not get this screen.

What I had was a screen that showed 15 different statements that looked like this:-

Then there was another 13 of them, but as I say this does not look anything like the guide is showing me.

I have no idea how you could see this information in the Warn When Near Screen!! Confused

jimmymerlin wrote:
Also, when I copy the list of POIs that includes petrol stations, banks etc which file do I put them in in my TomTom and do I need to delete anything that is alreaqdy in there?
I wouldn't even contemplate adding other POIs to the Device if you can't get the Cameras working. It makes it difficult to put a finger on the problem.

Do one thing at a time. Then if something goes wrong, you'll kniw it was the last thing you did. ;)

List out for us everything you did, in the order that you did it. Each Menu you went to and what you did there. We need to know everything so that we can find a solution quicker. Smile

jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
jimmymerlin wrote:
Can you list which Files you Copied across?

jimmymerlin wrote:

How did you go about 'finding' the Camera POI? When you use Warn When Near you should only be able to see the Name of the POI and the related Bitmap.

jimmymerlin wrote:

I have no idea how you could see this information in the Warn When Near Screen!! Confused

jimmymerlin wrote:
I wouldn't even contemplate adding other POIs to the Device if you can't get the Cameras working. It makes it difficult to put a finger on the problem.

Do one thing at a time. Then if something goes wrong, you'll kniw it was the last thing you did. ;)

List out for us everything you did, in the order that you did it. Each Menu you went to and what you did there. We need to know everything so that we can find a solution quicker. Smile

Hi
The files I copied across were from your download site and was called pgsw-speed-cams and when this was unzipped there were loads of files in there such as ;-
pocketgps-ukgatso-20.bmp
-20.ov2

then there were lots more files with a similar name as the above but instead of the word gatso the files were listed with different names as follows, mobile, pmobile, redlight, specs and temp.

To get to the warn near POI screen I followed the guide that is printed on your site for a tomtom910 it says, get tomtom screen that shows the navigate to icon on it,
then hit, change preferences
then hit, manage pois
then select, warn near poi
then when the POI catergory appears at the top of the next screen scroll through until you come to the pocketgps pois, which were labelled as 20 (mph) pocketgps UK gatso 20 and teh there were another 14 listed after this.

Thanks Jimmy
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New user trying to save speed cameras to my tomtom Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:

That sounds like the Browse Map, Find, POI, "pocketgps uk gatso 20".

jimmymerlin wrote:
This means go down through the list of POI Categories until you find the 1st pocketpgs POI category "pocketgps uk gatso 20".

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
tonys66
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you from jim
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BGF is right, it looks like you are looking at POI entries in the "Browse map" page.

You need to be in CHANGE PREFERENCES / ENABLE/DISABLE POI to enable the camera files, and in:
CHANGE PREFERENCES / MANAGE POIs / WARN WHEN NEAR POI to set up the alerts.

We'll get there in the end, mate Smile
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonys66 wrote:
Where you from jim

south wales
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
tonys66 wrote:
Where you from jim

south wales

Big place. Do you ever go abroad, like Bristol? If you had answered "Erith Kent", I suspect tonys66 would have offered to meet you and just give you the final demonstration. You are almost there, don't give up. Read and obey the two bits in Andy's post which are in capital letters. Then when it works, smile smugly. :D

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jimmymerlin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
jimmymerlin wrote:
tonys66 wrote:
Where you from jim

south wales

Big place. Do you ever go abroad, like Bristol? If you had answered "Erith Kent", I suspect tonys66 would have offered to meet you and just give you the final demonstration. You are almost there, don't give up. Read and obey the two bits in Andy's post which are in capital letters. Then when it works, smile smugly. :D

I'm applying for a passport and when I get it through I may make the trek accross to the other side of the water ( I live in Swansea) !!!!!!!

Used to live in Briissol many years ago when I was an apprentice and used to work for BR in Brissol Bath road for 2 years and travelled everyday from swansea.

I think the main problem I've had trying to download the speed cameras is that the instructions that are given on this site miss out one or two little steps which me up !!!!!!!

I think I have cracked it know, but I still have a few questions if you can help.

Do I have to delete any of the original speed camera files that where supplied in my Tom Tom 910 from new.

Also do i put the poi's I have downloaded from this site ( for hotels,banks petrol stations etc etc) in the same file as the cameras?????

Thanks for the help and can you remind me of the rugby score from a few weeks ago when Wales played England !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revenge is sweet !

Thanks and bye for now

Jimmy
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmymerlin wrote:
Do I have to delete any of the original speed camera files that where supplied in my Tom Tom 910 from new.
It is better to do so. It also a good idea to use HOME to do it, so that you don't delete the wrong thing. ;)

jimmymerlin wrote:
Also do i put the poi's I have downloaded from this site ( for hotels,banks petrol stations etc etc) in the same file as the cameras?????
All POIs go into the Map Folder. Cameras are no different to banks, just a collection of Locations. (Do you like the comparison of Cameras and Banks?) :D

jimmymerlin wrote:
Thanks for the help and can you remind me of the rugby score from a few weeks ago when Wales played England !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Revenge is sweet !

Thanks and bye for now
If you are going to bring things like that up then thanks will not be anywhere near enough to get infomation. Grrrr

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you delete the Tom Tom cameras. There are instructions somewhere on this site on how to do it with TT Home. I did it using Windows Explorer, but I'm a smarty pants old bloke. If I recall correctly, there are 57 TT camera OV2 files.

I have to confess that I can't be doing with instructions (everybody here knows that!) - But I succeeded with the cameras first time after reading an absolute minimum. Maybe you're young? Maybe you read too much?

Yes, the extra POIs go into the Western Europe map folder along with the cameras. BUT BEWARE!! You have a limit of 100, so the Wales - England score would probably jigger it up.

Sorry, I can't remember that score, but it was something impressive like Cymru 4, Loegr 1 (probably even worse than that though). There's a chance that Ireland are about to do something similar cricketwise. Both England teams were suffering from a severe shortage of Yorkshiremen.

I wonder if it was you who did an illegal right turn into BR at Bath Road and wrote off my Skoda (with my daughter driving)? If so, thank you very much - my skinflint (ex)missis made me buy it and I didn't really like it very much (well, actually, I hated the Censored thing!).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: