Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hand Held GPS \ Topographic Maps \PC maps Advice Requested
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand Held GPS \ Topographic Maps \PC maps Advice Requested

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Hand Held GPS \ Topographic Maps \PC maps Advice Requested Reply with quote

Wasnt certain where to place this as it crossed over several forums. I have looked though forums and found some content but nothing that answered my questions. Key here is compatability.

I'm looking for advice on:-

1) Handheld GPS that will handle Topo maps for the UK, 1:25,000
2) Suitable topo maps that can be fully loaded on Handheld.
3) Ability to review content on PC, not like you get with TT Home where you just see a image of the device screen, but full screen maps. This to allow me to plan routes prior to upload and review routes taken.

In the past I have had a Garmin Etrex Vista, Memory Map 1:50,000 found the process rather long winded. Ideal would be a topo map that is the same for GPS and PC. Extrex vista was quality gear but at the time, screen small, was non colour and no suitable topo.

Thanks
SatMap
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update...initial garmin models suggested are:- GPSMAP® 60CSx or GPSMAP® 76CSx These then uses Garmins own TOPO Great Britain v2
Whats the opinion of these as opposed to the latest Etrex VistaC?

Issues I am now aware of with Garmin topo are: No printing & Restricted size of map detail viewing area(according to their web site).

Re OS type maps, I used to run PDA with Memory Map, but I found the use of these in bright sunlight was unworkable, unless you covered it with your jacket. OK for the PC though. Any other options?
SatMap
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newer PDAs should be OK with bright light - the display is designed to use any natural light to 'illuminate' the screen. Transreflectice displays I believe they are called.

My DELL AXIM works very well in sunlight - saves battery power as well as you have the backlight off!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could go the PDA route and use the excellent Memory-Map which has a PC client as well. Offers texture mapped 3d elevations, track and waypoint management etc.

However you would need to consider robustness, battery life and a waterproof case for it.

Alternatively there is the imminent product from Satmap which was on show at our Expo. I'm not sure if this has a PC client, I suspect not but it is a superb product and much liked by all who saw it.
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You haven't said for what you intend to use the mapping (walking, cycling, etc.) but IMHO Garmin Topo is not even comparable to an OS 1:50k map. However, you can judge for yourself with the Mapsource viewer on Garmin's website. In particular, look for woodland, churches and country pubs, or differentiation between tracks, bridle paths and footpaths (if you can find them at all).

However, bear in mind that the whole of the UK at 1:25k would cost over £3,000 from Memory Map, and fill at least 12GBytes (the size of their 1:33k aerial photos).

I don't have the latest or best transflective displays on my PDAs, but find them of limited value. Yes, if you have direct sunlight you can tilt the display to improve readability, but I still find them almost unusable in bright cloud conditions.

So, sorry, I can't suggest any "ideal" device yet; the Road Angel Adventurer 7000 with Memory Map looked like an interesting compromise, but currently seems to have major User Interface limitations.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm after a suitable solution for walking, so the equivalent to an OS 1:25,000 is the ideal. I agree the Garmin Topo isn't ideal but may be the best so far.

Re the screen readability, what you report is exactly what I found, bright but cloud conditions are the worst, making the PDA screens almost unreadable! It's amazing but GPS screens seem OK. I'm going to take a look at the SatMap product when it becomes available.
Thanks
SatMap
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SatMap product is very nice indeed. It certainly ticks most of the boxes for walkers looking for a colour full OS mapping device albeit at a price.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fraserp wrote:
I'm going to take a look at the SatMap product when it becomes available
You can find a few details posted Here of the SatMap device, as for map scale I would try out a 50K scale map on the device before paying through the nose for 25K, I have used both and there is a difference but not that much to be honest the 25K scale does become very very costly if using OS on an electronic device - Mike
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest info: ETA June 2007, despite earlier reports of March.
Cost: £300
OS Maps: £100 each
So it is at a real price! 8O

At that price, for it to be acceptable to me. it'll have to be able to accept input co-ordinates, plan intended routes, transfer actual routes out, and should have a PC client. PDA sizes are fine in the field, but useless to work with at home. I can dream! Wink
SatMap
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE the 1:2500, I'd hope it would be clearer and more detailed. Sorry , but I hadnt seen the review.
Thanks
SatMap

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: