Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - deleting old files first
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

deleting old files first
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: deleting old files first Reply with quote

Question
When I download / install to my PDA, do I need to remove the existing (old) files first ?

The reason I ask is that, on occasions I have noticed rogue icons where (mainly temp) cameras used to be but there is no warning beep or large flashing warning icon on the screen.

I have found that removing the old files first overcomes this problem but I'd have thought they would be overwriten automatically.

Any other ideas what might cause this appreciated.

Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, What nav software/ system are you using?
The Garmin devices do overwrite the POI files when you update, the TomTom devices do this as well, but IF you have switched from one database type to another (single file to consolodated or speed zoned) then the old files will still be present - this is because they are named differently. Mike
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using TTN 6
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidwf wrote:
I am using TTN 6

....and I also noticed this when using TTN 5.

It is possible that the rogue icon was orphaned from a different database - I have been experimenting with them !

Thanks for your quick replies, I will try iut again and monitor the results.

Dave F
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure in Windows Explorer you go to Tools/ Folder Options view tab and de-select the checkbox adjacent to "Hide extensions for known file types" now when you view the memory card on the PC look at the map folder (where the POI's are stored) and any file ending with the file extension .ov2 is a POI file, there should be an identical named file that ends .bmp (the icon) - if not its probably a left over from "playing" - Mike
labeline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this may answer a query I posted a few days ago. I have 'played' with the databases and have upgraded my speedcamera database on my PDA running CoPilot 6. Unfortunately I made a couple of typing errors and forgot to rename a file. I now have blank POI icons on my screen and two rogue POIs in the custom menu. When I looked on the card I couldn't find them but I did see all of the other named files. I will give this a go to see if I can remedy the situation. Thanks
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also noticed that with the individual camera database loaded (i.e. a lot of POI's) the screen display slows right down and seems to update in 1 second or more "steps" rather than smoothly, also the POI warnings arrive a bit late.

My Mio P350 has a reasonably fast CPU and bags of free memory, hence the reason I tried loading the individual POI's, reducing the POI's speeds thnings up again.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disable all the POI's this will give you the best screen refresh rate. Use "Warn when near POI" as this does still show the POI, but doesn't slow the screen down - Mike
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mikeleader.....I cannot quite see how to disable POI's and still "warn when near" - surely disabling them will also stop the warnings ?

I am using TTN 6
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidwf wrote:
I cannot quite see how to disable POI's and still "warn when near" - surely disabling them will also stop the warnings ?
Enabling/Disabling is only for viewing (or not) the Icons on the Screen at all times, which is one reason for the slow Map Redraws..

The Warn When Near only activates the draw process when in the proximity of a location in the POI.

Enable/Disable is on Page 1 of Change Preferences. ;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
labeline
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidwf

Sorry to muscle in on your query again but as its dealing with an issue I am trying to resolve, I hope you don't mind. I have looked for a maps folder on my SD card and cannot find one. I only have 2 choices, 2577 and Copilot and its not in those. When I search the card there are no ov files on it either, just bitmaps. Strange I feel as the warnings work ok. Any suggestions.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

labeline wrote:
2577 and Copilot

From this I assume you are trying to set-up your Co-Pilot software? - the Q&A offered above are with respect to TomTom so to avoid confusion you might want to try asking a specific question within the Co-Pilot forum section of the site where there are other users of the same software who will be better placed to offer assistance - Mike
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:

The Warn When Near only activates the draw process when in the proximity of a location in the POI.

Enable/Disable is on Page 1 of Change Preferences. ;)

Yes, in fact these are the settings that I HAVE used so all the icons except the speed cam ones are disabled but the screen refresh is still noticeably slower than with even those turned off.
I also have no other programs running in the background.

I wonder if there is some way of combining ALL the cams into one file with just one icon and one warning - I am not fussed whether it is a Gatso or a mobile site up ahead.

Thanks for all the prompt replies so far....as a newbie I am impressed !!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidwf wrote:

I wonder if there is some way of combining ALL the cams into one file with just one icon and one warning - I am not fussed whether it is a Gatso or a mobile site up ahead.

Suprised no one answered this one (I'm catching up after a few days away)....
There already is a single file, "all-in-one" version of the camera database for TomToms and probably most if not all of the other formats. It is there in the drop down box along with the "consolidated by type" and "speed-zoned" options.
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, I have seen this...but of course the warnings and icons are one and the same.

I have now extracted all the "fixed cams" (gatso, specs etc) into one file and done the same with all the temp / mobile cams into another file (using the excellent dumpov2 and makeov2 programs)

So now I only have 2 files with 2 warnings and 2 icons....and it runs soooo much quicker !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: