Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NUVI 350 mapping - Navigation Concerns ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NUVI 350 mapping - Navigation Concerns ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
petedave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: NUVI 350 mapping - Navigation Concerns ? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am hoping I haved missed an option or somthing simple as an ex TomTom700 user, now using the 350.....

I have been concerned with the Nuvi pickinh strange routes, either in area's I know or this week when travelling from Chippenham to Elvedon Center Parcs near bury st edmunds.

My problem is that when selecting the fastast route option, I would have expected the Nuvi to direct me M4 - M25 - M11 ------- Center Parcs (I missed some stuff) However it directed me M4 - M25 - M1(N) -A505 etc. The same n the way back.

Noting that the M25 is not the best motorway, I would still have expeced it to route me with Motorway priority as I did not have "avoidance" set to miss highways!

I have a similar issue nearer home where it tries to send me down back B roads - I would agree that there are more direct, but not faster unless the A road is obsructed!

With the TomTom I never had this problem - I even had an options screen that allowed me to define priorities on Motorways, A rodas, B roads etc.

Please can someone help me with this isse - if this is the way the Nuvi works, it looks like I have to get rid of this as I much pref to Tom Tom routing (but love the Nuvi otherwise!).

Cheers

Pete
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, give it a week or two - the unit will learn (to some degree) your preferred routes, and speeds on those routes, and this will improve it's knowledge.

Secondly, if you have the v8 maps, then upgrading to the v9 maps may improve the routing, as it fixes a few anomolous roads.

Finally, with the roadworks on the M25 at the moment, that might be a better route, although I appreciate it will take you straight through the M1 roadworks instead.
petedave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prmpt reply; however:

I have had the unit for a couple of months now and it does not seem to be improving with time :-(

I do have the v9 maps.

I did not see any roadworks on the M25 this morning and although I do have the TMC inti, it did not affect the routing - I am 100% sure of that as it did a good job along the M4 the other day!

So it does seem like the Nuvi does nt like the M25 and certain A roads for no apparent reason (well for A roads) ......

Umm - I don't want to have to consult a road atlas evertime I make a trip along unknown roads to ensure the Nuvi is being sensible - worrying :-(
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petedave wrote:
I did not see any roadworks on the M25 this morning
If you had gone M4, M25, M11 you would have driven through some 40mph roadworks a junction or two before the M11.
petedave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, but even if there were roadworks, the Nuvi (without the TMC unit) would not have know about them. I have just performed a calculation in the house and it still takes me off the M25 and up and across. There is no way that a set of A roads with loads of roundabouts can be considered faster than the M25 and then M11 motorways, even if a more direct route, this is the shorter option, not faster.

Therefore I still suggest that the Nuvi navigation priorities are bolx

I would love to be convinced otherwise cos I will be selling it in the near future and reverting back to a TomTom otherwise.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: