Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Just got my Nuvi 660
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Just got my Nuvi 660

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasuk70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Just got my Nuvi 660 Reply with quote

I've been using Tom Tom for a while up to now and with the recent issues with virus's on the 910 and not having much success with their support (It feels like one of the companies that have grown too quickly and cannot cope very well). I've decided to switch to Garmin.

Due to the snow we had last week, the courier had problems delivering the unit to me so I knew where their depot was so went there to pick it up. Back in the car, I open the box take out the mounting and the device/power etc. and proceeded to set up in the car. Switched it on and then touched where to go and then home, It asked for my address which i gave it. and then calculated the route. I followed the directions which were easy to understand and got back very easily. I was really impressed with the speed it got a signal and how easy it was to use. As an existing Audible customer It has the added bonus of of being able to play my books too.

The following day, I downloaded a book to the device and then picked somewhere to travel too and set off. One thing to note, I never go a lock on any travel information at all during the journey, the light was always orange, but that is something I'll look into later.

Again it was so easy to put in a destination (Jimmy's Farm in Essex, a place where I've been meaning to visit) (Much better than I've experienced with my TomTom GO 300) I put in the post code and set off, with audio book playing. (I connected the audio out to the cassette adapter in the car stereo so had the book playing through the speakers and when ever a new instruction is required, it interrupts the book with a tone and gives the instruction then starts playing the book again (1 second back so you don't loose your place). It got me there to the front door so to speak, very impressed, the mapping information seems much improved compared to the TomTom I've been using before.

The only downside I have is the way it deals with round-a-bouts. On the TomTom you got a little graphic to show where you need to leave the round-a-bout and it will always say the exit every time it mentions the round-a-bout. This helps you to get in the correct lane. the Nuvi just says "Enter Round-a-bout" and you have to guess what lane, even the display may not show you the round-a-bout exit until it's too late to change lane.

That aside, I'm now firmly converted to Garmin. Much better product in my view. The TTS is excellent and seems to have no affect to the operation of the device, I was a bit worried by mentions on the forum that TTS causes speed issues with the device. But for me, not even a jitter.

Next to see if traffic is going to be possible in my car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: