Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Cannot install new map - missing installation file?!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Cannot install new map - missing installation file?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Cannot install new map - missing installation file?! Reply with quote

I've just got the new 675 map update from TomTom, and I'm trying to install it via TomTom HOME to my TomTom ONE Regional.

I had trouble downloading the map and postcode, so had to do it from another computer. After I downloaded it, I copied it back to my own PC - I copied the .CAB and .TOC files for both the map and the postcodes (so 4 files in total) into 'My Documents -- TomTom -- HOME -- Downloads' (the same location it was placed when I downloaded it on the other computer).

I start TomTom HOME, I select install, it sees the new map and postcodes on my computer, I select them both and click the 'Install' button. And then all I get is...

'Cannot install. Installation file 'My Documents -- TomTom -- HOME -- Downloads -- filename' does not exist'.

This happens twice, once for the map, then again for the postcodes.

Yet it's showing the correct path and file name in the error message?!

What am I doing wrong?! Please help!

Thanks very much.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You aren't doing anything wrong. The problem is probably HOME. Sad You can manually unzip the .cab files to the device's memory card, though. Just out of interest, do you have another version of the same map in your HOME directory (or any of its subdirectories)?
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Tim. Yes, I was going to resort to installing manually from the CAB file, but wasn't sure if HOME did anything 'clever' during the install, or if it did anything extra other than just extracting the files and dumping them on the memory card.

Yes, I have the v660 UK & ROI map on my card currently. I was going to install the new map (which is the v675 Uk & ROI map), check it worked, and then delete the old v660 map (presumably HOME creates a new folder for the new map, so both map versions would be on the card until I delete the old one?)

Could this be a problem? Should I delete the old map first before trying to install the new one?

Cheers.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I think you meant another version of the same map in the HOME directory on my PC, not on my SD card, right? In which case, no, I don't, I only have the v675 map on my PC.

There seem to be some other map related files on the root of my SD card, presumably related to my current v660 map. These won't get updated, will they? The files inside the CAB of the new v675 map only go into the map folder. Does that matter?

Also, what do the TOC files do that were downloaded with the CAB files?

Sorry for all the questions! Cheers.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so if the map names are identical, the second one might have something like (2) tagged onto the end. Can you move the map and postcode files out of the HOME file structure and put them somewhere else temporarily? Anywhere will do, even c:\temp. Then download the new map and postcode files again, using HOME and try to install from these.

The .toc files give onformation about what devices the files are suitable for, where the file can be found (although you've found this not to be the case) and a few other things, like version number, filesize, etc.

(Sorry, I misread your post! You don't have anything else in HOME.) In that case, I'm a bit lost.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Cannot install new map - missing installation file?! Reply with quote

voice_of_reason wrote:
then all I get is...

'Cannot install. Installation file 'My Documents -- TomTom -- HOME -- Downloads -- filename' does not exist'.
This is usually caused by a line in the TOC file. It looks like this
Quote:
{Location}file:///D:/Temp/navcore_6.525.7714.go910.cab{/Location}
I changed the brackets. Smile

Normally if the Drive letter changes, as it might do when done on a different PC, you need to change the Text.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim and Richard. In the end, I just unzipped the CAB file and did it all manually, activated the map and everything seems OK.

Now I've got a question about the new (or maybe not so new?) postcode file that came with the map, but I'll put that in a different post.

Thanks for all your help.
voice_of_reason
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE: I think you were right Richard. I checked the path in the TOC file, and I think it is the path to the file on the PC that I originally downloaded the files on. It's very similar to the path on my own PC, which is why I thought it was correct when I first glanced at it.

So there's the answer for anyone else with the same problem - check your TOC file!

Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: