Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - poi warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

poi warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: poi warnings Reply with quote

hi ppl, i have a tt one, i know of a camera for which i get a warning (bell) when i get near it . BUT the unit is facing the other way, also when i driving on the other lane i dont get any warning even though i can see it on the screen. how do u fix this, i niticed that there are those speed lines things on both lanes, so may be it used to face the otherway???
adrian44uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:56 pm    Post subject: poi warnings Reply with quote

It could be a problem with the Lat: and Lon: for this camera.
Is the road a Duel Carriageway? If so is the actual camera sited on the centre reservation? Find the POI in TT and open it in POIEdit, Click on the camera number and its location should open in Streetmap.co.uk. You may just have to tweak its location to correct the problem, and then save the file. Location references are not 100% accurate so these sorts of errors will happen.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: poi warnings Reply with quote

adrian44uk wrote:
Find the POI in TT and open it in POIEdit, Click on the camera number and its location should open in Streetmap.co.uk. You may just have to tweak its location to correct the problem, and then save the file.

Woah!!! Exclamation Exclamation
Although this will work fine, why not do exactly the same thing on the Google map on the Camera Submission page instead?
That way everyone will get the benefit of your hard work (and also you won't have to re-do it every fortnight, after you've downloaded the latest database version! Wink )

Having said all that.... do you realise that TomToms - in common with nearly every other satnav - doesn't understand 'direction' for cameras (or any POI)? So normally you WILL get alerts for cameras pointing in the other direction.

The only exception to this is on dual carriageways, where (so long as you have "Warn only while on route" ticked for every camera type) the TomTom should ignore cameras on the other carriageway.
This is also why, for reversable cameras, you will see they have been added as two points, one on each carriageway.

Hope that makes sense... Smile
adrian44uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your comment on using the PGW Google to set the correct location is right. Why didn't I think of it.

I questioned if it was Duel carrageway for exactly the reason you have stated.
adrian44uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could spell!

Dual
hard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers guys the camera is on a central reservation of a duel carrige way, went to the camera sub page and put in the corect way it facing so it should up-date next time round??
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that the main reason for putting a camera on the central reservation is that it can be rotated to be used in both directions. If the camera is mounted to catch you after you have passed it (Gatso), the give away is the prominent road markings after the camera. If these are on both carriageways, it's rotatable. If the camera is set to face you as you approach it (Truvelo) the signs are bitumen lines in the roadway where the sensors have been inset, and three parallel white lines across the lane, just before the camera. Again, if these appear on both carriageways, the camera can be used in either direction.

If the camera is rotatable, you need to leave the warnings alone, since there is no way of knowing in advance which way it will be pointing. It's a bit like mobile camera locations. Individual locations are rarely manned, but they give a warning that a mobile has at some time been seen there.

(Personally, I don't activate mobile locations, since I haven't seen a mobilie camera in the last year (25,000 miles) but get a warning about every five minutes. Madam gets pee'd off with the continuous chatter interrupting her music.)
Sueb1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

You've been lucky then. I drove up the M4 from Bristol at the begining of the month and on four bridges over the motorway were mobile camera vans, all within the Avon & Somerset area. Thankfuly I had the Mobile POI loaded in the Sat Nav.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a two mile stretch of road near my home which gives SIX mobile camera warnings, in 12 years of commercial driving on that stretch of road on a daily basis I have never seen one camera !!

To old to die young.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my last post in this thread, there is however signs warning of speed cameras, these were erected after the road was resurfaced etc, I just wonder if it is the actual signs that have been reported??

And funnily enough when you pass the last warning and travel about a mile there is a place where they often have a mobile camera and yet there is no warning!!

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
And funnily enough when you pass the last warning and travel about a mile there is a place where they often have a mobile camera and yet there is no warning!!
Have you submitted these observations on the submisions page of the site?
It wouldn't be the first time warning signs have been sent in though - Mike
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't submitted it yet Mike, I have to find out how to first Embarassed

Am I right in thinking you CAN'T use POICapture with the GO710?

To old to die young.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you go to the Camera download page Here and scroll down a bit you will find a map and other methods which can be used to update the site of position changes/ deletions/ additions etc. There are guidelines on the page for instructions.

As for POICapture on the 710 it will work, check the software version your device has installed (6,522 is the most up to date) then download/ install POICapture 1,06G configure your menu (if you want to move icons around), it is normal for the unit to need a reset after the first time you run POICapture, but after that it should be fine - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: