Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OpenTom project and MP3 player on a 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenTom project and MP3 player on a 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razorkai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: OpenTom project and MP3 player on a 910 Reply with quote

Hi all.

Just found the OpenTom website after doing some research on the mp3 player in my shiny, new Go 910! The webite looks really interesting but the 910 is not listed as supported and they haven't released anything for a while. Anyone dared to try the software on a 910? Has the project died a death?

I really like the idea of being able to convert all my Cds to MP3 and storing them on the 910's hard disk. However, there seems to be no way of managing playlists unless I'm missing something? TomTom Home lets you copy music onto your unit but not see what is there once it has been copied - i.e. you can only delete all music or add more. You can access your TomTom's hard disk via Windows and see all the mp3 files, but I have not been able to figure out how it is storing playlists. Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks.

John.
drummer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John.

I have also recently purchased a 910 and am also experimenting with the playlists.

Quote from the Tom Tom HOME help file:
Quote:
TomTom HOME can read playlists stored as .pls and .m3u files. If your playlists are stored in another file format, you need to convert the files to .pls or .m3u files.

Firstly, you cannot create a playlist directly on the 910, you have to create them on your PC first.

Unfortunately Window Media player does not export a compatible playlist, so I now use Media Monkey (Free Basic version) to manage my music and export playlists into a folder which can then be imported using TT Home.

In TT Home you add the folder that contains your previously saved playlists created by Media Monkey and then select the desired playlists. The tracks contained in the playlist will be automatically copied to the mp3 folder (if they are not already present), as are the playlists themselves which are converted to a PLA file which is just a text file containg a list of paths to the songs.

I am not finished experimenting yet and am looking to syncronise both playlists and the mp3s using media monkey and bypassing TT Home altogether.
razorkai
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi drummer

Thanks for your reply. I have been looking at Media Monkey and it seems really good! :D I have already got it to synch my mp3 files to my 910 without a hitch, just need to figure out the playlists now. In your post you mention that playlists get converted to PLA files, but my TomTom doesn't seem to have any of these files on it. What folder would I find them in? Let me know how you get on with the palylist synch.

TIA.

John.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: