Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New TOMTOM One V2 Europe for Xmas. Help please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New TOMTOM One V2 Europe for Xmas. Help please
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: New TOMTOM One V2 Europe for Xmas. Help please Reply with quote

I need help on two points please. With this kit do I have to navigate the route initally before I can go back in and ask for VIA,s and can I only key in one VIA.

Also I live in Dorset UK and I tried to key in my summer holiday to France. The unit came taking me up to the Dover/Calais crossing when i am going from Portsmouth. When I key in Portsmouth as a VIA it takes me to Portsmouth then to Dover. If i key in Le Havre in France as a VIA it takes me up to Dover/ Calais and then back to Le Havre. A very long way round!!!!!
Thanks in advance for any help.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you need is Itinary Planning off the main menu - tap the arrow until it appears.

Add your Destination & any stops ( inc. Pompey Docks & Ouistreham ).
No matter the order of entry as you tap on them to activate a further screen where you can adjust position in the list.

You can mark Pompey & Ouistreham as Waypoints, and when you get to France, your TT will re-calculate the route from Le Havre
OR
Set Portsmouth as a Destination as well as wherever you are going. Then, at the ferry, mark Portsmouth as Visited. Your TomTom will re-calculate while you board the ferry, probably telling you to get Eurostar. Simple solution - ignore it. It'll then calculate same as example1 above when you reach France.

ALTERNATIVELY:-
BGF wrote:
I don't have any experience of how the Quest & Mapsource interact, but many TT users use Autoroute to create a route and then convert it to a TT itinerary, using ITNConv.

This should keep the ferry crossing of your choice and create the route as you want it.......& don't forget that you can always go off itinary and plot a new route to your destination once you are motoring in France.

Hope that helps.
bonnes vacances

hirve
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that, i will have a go tomorrow, thought there must be an answer but i am not very technical.
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Have gone into itinary planning, keyed in Eymouthiers as the destination in France, then have got Portsmouth and Le Havre as wayfars with the yellow arrows. When i press done it then asks if Eymouthiers is my first destination. I key Yes and then done, but it is still giving me the Kent route, must be making one final error, can you help.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your problem is that the crossing time from Portsmouth to le Havre (plus whatever they allow for waiting) makes the route through Kent shorter in time, so Tom Tom chooses it! The simplest thing is to store two itineraries, one from your home to Portsmouth Harbour, and another from le Havre to Eymoutiers. Using through routing across international frontiers is now easy with TT6, but when there is a sea crossing involved the routes are always problematic
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. Thought there must be an explanation
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR as I said above, ignore it !!!!! It'll sort itself out in Ouistreham, HONEST !!

For now, a bit of math gets the time & skipping past the Portsmouth-Dover-Calais-Le Havre bits shows you the route........

Unless you are really keen to see your travel time & a route in close up
Perhaps try here:
Via Michelin Route Planning
This definately plots thru Portsmouth to Eymoutiers......

Also, if you are planning a day ferry, these are a good stop off.
Basic but saves driving thru' if you're tired.
HÔTELS B&B
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apols.....was working from Robin2's reply......Eymouthiers (charante) should not be confused with Eymoutiers (haute-vienne) !!!

They're opposite sides of Limoges to start with...........althought the route down is the same until Poitiers. :D
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. it is Eymouthiers. Charente. Camping Gorges du Chambon. Went there a few years ago. Made the mistake then of looking at Eymoutiers by mistake.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! I realised once I had posted that I had typed the wrong one! But you can't edit posts on this forum, and it didn't seem important enough to post again.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't a dig at your typo, Robin.....just highlighting the French penchant for recycling placenames......the closer together the better.....

I know GB does it too, but at least Newcastle can be differentiated by the river it's on, not the addition/ommision of a mere 'h' !!!!!!

Plus, I naturally picked up on Eymoutiers as I travel to the Haute-Vienne / Limousin region and have been there - whereas the Charante is undiscovered country and I only found out about Eymouthiers today !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have a great hol, by the way, ascsbe
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one more quick question. Through playing around with TT i now have loads of trips on it. do these clear themselves after so long or can i delete them myself. long time to go before my trip to Eymouthiers, not until June.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you saved them as itinaries, you have a Delete option in the Itinary planning menu.
The Current route can be cleared using Clear Route from the Main menu.

ascsbe wrote:
...do these clear themselves after so long or can i delete them myself....

I have never wanted to clear Recent Destinations so don't know if it is possible....I just let them 'drop off' as I navigate to other places, as the list fills from the top down. In this way, they eventually 'clear' themselves by appending the list.

I daresay a knowlegeable type or moderator ( who are also knowledgeable, let's clear that up right away ) will pop in with how many 'slots' are in the list and/or how to clear the list is it can be done....

regards
hirve
ascsbe
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

u have all been a great help to a beginner. looking forward to using the TT a lot during the new year.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just had a look at Autoroute / ITNconv, for a laugh.....

It works fine, providing you enter intersections ( motorway / road changes ) or other stops ( ferries / motels / etc.. ) as VIA's. If not, you only get your Start point as a Waypoint & your End point as the Destination.

Save as an .asg file ( extension may be .axe now, my copy is Autoroute is GB2000 ).

Using ITNconv, these will convert to a TomTom .itn file. You copy this onto your SD card, place in itn folder. Load from the Itinary menu & you're done.

ITNconv

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: