Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - SPV M2000 PDA - TT5.21 - BT77 RECEIVER ???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

SPV M2000 PDA - TT5.21 - BT77 RECEIVER ???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: SPV M2000 PDA - TT5.21 - BT77 RECEIVER ??? Reply with quote

Okay now have a copy off TOMTOM 5.21 that I am looking to put onto a new 1 gb memory card I have here, have installed the software to the pc but for some reason I cant get the spv-m2000 PDA to pick up the signal from the BT77 gps receiver , the PDA can see the bluetooth signal from the receiver but constantly comes up saying no gps signal ??

the lights off the receiver are all indicating a good gps signal being received but the blue light on the receiver that is supposed to flash every second ( bluettoth connection ?? ) is only flashing every few seconds, not sure what to set as far as comports etc anyone offer any advice - slightly confused ??!!!

have trioed the unit on another sat nav set up and know that it is 100% working and is fully charged feel sure it is down to one off the settings on the PDA not being set correctly but as I say just not sure what to set and what not to set ??!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your PDA phone using WM2003SE (as supplied) or WM2005 (user installed) ? - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Is your PDA phone using WM2003SE (as supplied) or WM2005 (user installed) ? - Mike

okay thanks mike yep its the standard supplied WM2003SE version.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you view the GPS set-up page in TomTom you should see a small yellow/ blue circle (top right) if it is spinning the device is communicating with the GPS device - if not you have a setting wrong. My equivalent device is the XDAIIs (same unit different badge) I use "Other Bluetooth GPS and select COM6 for connection. Once you have the yellow/ blue disk spinning take the device (s) outside in free space and await a signal, the GPS needs to know where it is first, prior to giving you a positional fix (this can take up to 20 minutes) - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
When you view the GPS set-up page in TomTom you should see a small yellow/ blue circle (top right) if it is spinning the device is communicating with the GPS device - if not you have a setting wrong. My equivalent device is the XDAIIs (same unit different badge) I use "Other Bluetooth GPS and select COM6 for connection. Once you have the yellow/ blue disk spinning take the device (s) outside in free space and await a signal, the GPS needs to know where it is first, prior to giving you a positional fix (this can take up to 20 minutes) - Mike

Mike appreciatte your continued help wonder if you could possibly just advise me how I go about actually setting these comports that you talk about and should I set both the bluetooth ones to this com 6 that you mention ??

from looking at the information screen within the configuration page tomtom it says :

infared port
com 9:
serial cable on com1
com2
bt uart
serial on usb
bluetooth serial port com 6
bluettoth serial port com 5

lastly ( for now !! ) Embarassed formatting the memory card within the phone ?? just how do you actually do it ??!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Select Bluetooth Serial Port Com6 for your connection with the GPS this is the setting I use.
As for formatting a card in the device - why? - its much easier to remove the memory card pop it in to a card reader and format it that way, if you don't have a card reader I suggest you get one as Active Sync isn't the most reliable file transfer method for large (map) files, the card reader is also much faster - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Select Bluetooth Serial Port Com6 for your connection with the GPS this is the setting I use.
As for formatting a card in the device - why? - its much easier to remove the memory card pop it in to a card reader and format it that way, if you don't have a card reader I suggest you get one as Active Sync isn't the most reliable file transfer method for large (map) files, the card reader is also much faster - Mike

OPkay the only reason I asked regards formatting the card within the pda is I know some devices prefer the card to be formatted within it rather than done in an external devive - not sure why exactly ??!! but thats fine will use the card reader.

the only thing I was unsure about was how to actually change the com port settings mike ??

sure I will get there just a bit new to all this !!! apprecaitte your patience !!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't change the com port simply select it "Bluetooth Serial Port Com6" and you should find the yellow/ blue disk will start to spin, if so you have the correct configuration so take it outside and wait for a signal. If you go back to the GPS configuration page it doesn't show a previous selection just the list, perhaps this is what you are being misled by? - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess what ?? all working !!! :D

the actual software I have got installed just now is TT 5.0 mike but already have 5.21 ready to be installed which as you pointed out earlier on in one off my threads will give me back the missing on screen keypad etc.

mike thanks so much again, really do appreciatte your expert advice mate.

have a very happy new year when it comes mate :D .

john
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the green flashing light is for on the top corner off the spv m2000 ?? even with the PDA switched off the unit contstantly flashes green, any ideas ??
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its to let you know it has a GSM mobile signal, there are ways to stop it doing this, put it in an RF shielded building where signals cannot enter, go out of range of the phone transmitter network or switch on flight mode (then nothing will work as it turns all the radio's off) - if you find it a real pain the easy option is a Black marker pen to cover up the LED - I find the Blue one just as bad to be honest.
There is a reg edit hack you can do to the device to turn the LED's off but I would leave that alone for now, the marker pen is an easy option - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mike had me baffled, thought for a minute it was possibly to alert me that a message had been left on my phone but okay thanks for the real explanation !!!!

wonder how long you find you get on the pda when used for sat nav purposes on battery power as opposed to being powered from the car lighter plug ??

must admitt dont seem to be getting very long at all before I get the no maps found message when powering the phone from the battery itself.
anyway, yet again thanks again mike appreciatte your prompt reply.

cheers,
john
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will flash red if there is a text message or unanswered call on your device.
As for battery life a decent fully charged battery will give around 2 hours maximum running TomTom, or nearer 5 hours if you get an extended battery pack for the device (they do add significant weight and bulk to the device but can prove very handy when out on the road for a few days).

To be honest in the car I always have the device powered up from the charger socket irrespective of battery type installed, the extended battery just gives me added flexibility when away from home with the device, although it seldom gets much use these days - Mike
jono4000
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay mike thats fine seems I am getting about the right time out off the battery when using the PDA for use with TOMTOM then off course using the bluetooth with the sat nav receiver wont help the battery life either will it !!

am going to get a permanent external power lead fitted within the car so this should solve any problems with the battery.

going back to the green led constantly flashing, just seems strange that it should actually flash when the complete unit is totally closed down, you reckon this is deffinately normal for this type off unit ??

I will just learn to live it with now that I know it is there for a reason but must admitt it is a bit distracting at times !!

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't like the green LED flashing on the device the only option is to mess around with a registry hack to turn the LED off, or use a marker pen to paint it out, I got used to it to be honest the Blue LED was more annoying at night from the Bluetooth GPS - Pen sorted the problem though

For long term usage in the car with TomTom you really do need a power lead, that way your device is recharged before leaving the car and ready for a full days work on the battery - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: