Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Safety Cameras - Worth it?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Safety Cameras - Worth it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: TomTom Safety Cameras - Worth it? Reply with quote

Is the subscription to TomTom safety cameras worth it? It works out at about £20 for the year and includes all the updates automatically through TomTom Home when docked. Are they up to date with there cameras or are they wrong? I like that the warnings come up and tell you what speed they are set at and that I don't have to go into POI to change settings and add voices to individual speeds.
Maybe I am being bone idle and the GPS World speed cameras are better and more informative, just looking for a little advice please :D
thebinman
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Safety Cameras - Worth it? Reply with quote

Bobbin wrote:
Is the subscription to TomTom safety cameras worth it? It works out at about £20 for the year and includes all the updates automatically through TomTom Home when docked. Are they up to date with there cameras or are they wrong? I like that the warnings come up and tell you what speed they are set at and that I don't have to go into POI to change settings and add voices to individual speeds.
Maybe I am being bone idle and the GPS World speed cameras are better and more informative, just looking for a little advice please :D

No!

Not as up to date a PGPS ones, more expensive, no change to distance or voice warnings!

End of!
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That answers that then :D
How easy is it to install and keep updated the Pocket GPS World database, can it be done through TomTom Home, through the dock? Also will the Pocket GPS World database over right the TomTom database, only ask as the TomTom camera database doesn't seem to be a POI and the Pocket GPS World is a POI interface.
Sorry for being so lame, and I'm sure these questions have been asked before Embarassed
One last thing, is there anything I need to subscribe to to get the Pocket GPS World database in it's entirety, I am a forum member, is that enough, thanks Laughing
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

take a minute or two to read the stickys ...all the info you need is there anything thats not has been answered in previous posts...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to be a paid up subscriber in addition to being a forum member. Subscription charge is 2 pound per month or 19 for 12 months. The paid up membership also permits access to the members only area of the site, and a free to enter monthly competition.
The PGPSW database can be installed/ updated using the TomTom Home software, or via the traditional ov2 drag and drop method.
I have previously been accused of being biased towards this sites database, but having tried both offerings I know which I trust (and use), with updates currently every couple of weeks (although one update per month is the offical line), recently updates have been more frequent. The choice is yours in the end - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make you feel easier ...
Install and update is dead easy. It CAN be done via TT Home, but I prefer the drag and drop method in Windows Explorer.
Simply put (but wise to read as zogman says [I never did because I don't RTFMs!!] but I've never had difficulty):-
Download the correct file.
Unzip it, whereupon it becomes several unzipped files.
Copy the unzipped files into the map folder on your satnav.
Enable the camera POIs and give them warning sounds and distances.
Thereby Robert becomes "ton oncle"!
It does NOT overwrite TT's database, so you need to do away with the TT ones.
If you are a PAID UP member of PocketGps World, the camera downloads are free. To become PAID UP costs you either £2 a month or £19 a year. If you do the same as the rest of us and contribute details of a new fixed camera, you could get a free lifetime membership (but it's only if you are the first to notify it, and subject to confirmation by somebody at PGPSW).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now a full member, for a whole year Laughing
Downloaded the Speed camera database and Voice warnings, all working, bloody marvelous, well impressed :D
One last question though, what proximety do people set, should I just leave it at the 300 yards that is standard? Rolling Eyes
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Third time I've re-posted this chart (from the beginners' guides) in two days! Laughing

This gives the distances in yards you need to give various warning TIMES at each speed.
It is meant for fixed cameras. General opinion is that mobile radar sites need a lot more (double those figures has been mentioned).
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, I've seen this posted by Andy so often, I've even printed it off and put it in the van. I'm actually thinking of using it too.

mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: make Andy rich.... Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Third time I've re-posted this chart (from the beginners' guides) in two days! Laughing

This gives the distances in yards you need to give various warning TIMES at each speed.
It is meant for fixed cameras. General opinion is that mobile radar sites need a lot more (double those figures has been mentioned).

If you had a pound every time someone mentions this ;)
Bobbin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appologies all for asking the same old questions, thanks for the replys though Laughing
leec
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is probably worth using the payg service for a while. i payed the 20 and only donwloaded 3 times in my first year as i dont go far most of the time.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:

Since I am of little brain, I simply use 20mph - 200yds, 30 - 300, 40 - 400 etc, as this gives between 20 and 25 seconds warning for every one. Variables and unknowns are set to 700 just in case.

I've given up using mobile warnings. I haven't seen a mobile camera in operation in the last year, (25,000 miles) yet I get a warning about every 5 minutes, and they were getting on my wick. In fact on one stretch of the A600, on my way to work, there are 4 warnings in about 500 yards. Case of crying wolf.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:

Since I am of little brain, I simply use 20mph - 200yds, 30 - 300, 40 - 400 etc, as this gives between 20 and 25 seconds warning for every one. Variables and unknowns are set to 700 just in case.

Now THAT'S the best advice I've seen in ages! I usually use the "20 seconds" figures but had never noticed how close they were to round numbers Rolling Eyes . MUCH easier to remember now. Thumbs Up
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Andy, Andy, you've just cruelly torn the scales from my eyes. I thought you did that sort of thing on automatic.

Anyway, pardon me all you clever clogses, but isn't it time you took into consideration time and motion or the universe or something? May I here insert a small note of something or other?

If at 30mph it takes you 5 seconds to react and slow down by 10mph, leaving 5 seconds to compose your expression of total innocence, don't you need more than 5 seconds at 40mph? So instead of using 200 - 300 - 400 etc, don't you need 200 - 350 - 550 etc (moving through the grid diagonally rather than vertically? Tell me I'm a dumbo and can't do my sums, or that the figures quoted do exactly that. I think I've convinced myself they do indeed! No I haven't - slowing down at 70mph takes more distance than at 30mph, so in 5 secs I haven't slowed down as much as if I were doing 30mph. Or in other words, the 70 mph camera gets here a darn sight quicker in 10 seconds than does a 30mph camera. Tell me I'm a dumbo and can't do my sums.

PS When I get round to doing it, I think it'll be a good idea to use something easy like 200 - 300 - 400 etc. 8)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: