Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom tom Speed cameras - where are they?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom tom Speed cameras - where are they?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Tom tom Speed cameras - where are they? Reply with quote

I've tried to download TT safety cameras using TT Home and also manually. The Home checks the installed items on connection to my PC and is saying that the cameras are installed. The problem is I can't find them! They are not to be seen when I access the Enable/Disable POI's and so I can't assign sounds to them. They are in the UK map folder as shown in the removable disc section of My Computer. Please help - what can I do? Bear in mind also that I'm very much a beginner when it comes to PC's and the associated language! Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Often asked....
The TomTom camera database is no longer done as POIs. You now acess it from the Plus menu. You also can't change either the warning distances or the alert sound. It's rubbish.
The POI based one from here lets you customise all that and much more.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom tom Speed cameras - where are they? Reply with quote

Altea wrote:
I've tried to download TT safety cameras using TT Home and also manually. The Home checks the installed items on connection to my PC and is saying that the cameras are installed. The problem is I can't find them! They are not to be seen when I access the Enable/Disable POI's and so I can't assign sounds to them. They are in the UK map folder as shown in the removable disc section of My Computer. Please help - what can I do? Bear in mind also that I'm very much a beginner when it comes to PC's and the associated language! Thanks.
Can you clarify whether you are talking about the PocketGPS database or TomTom's own? TomTom have recently changed the way that their's work. They are no longer POIs.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. I'm talking about Tom Tom's own subscription database. I was thinking of downloading the PGPS version as soon as my subscription expires. If I did that would I somehow have to uninstall the Tom Tom version, and how straight forward is the installation of the PGPS one?
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Why wait Reply with quote

Welcome

Why wait. I realise you have a subscription but TT db really isn't that great. As mentioned above, the PGPS is much more plaiable & playwithable & performs better than the TT one. This is a personal opinion but aseeing s I am a merely a member not a moderator, I can claim a semblance of non-bias.

Re: installing PGPS database. Soooooooooo easy !!! There are many posts regarding this but in a nutshell, now the .chk files are becoming more, dare I say, obsolete, you simply decide which of three versions available you wish to install depending on what level of alert you require.

Single file tells you there is a camera ahead.
Consolidated tells you what type of camera is ahead.
Zoned tells you what type of camera is ahead and what speed it is set to, if known.

Then there are the new super simple set-up voice alerts and that link is carried all over this site forum too. No doubt a bod with it at hand will point you there unless I find it first.

Have you backed up your TomTom &/or SD card. Do it thrice " T'be sure, T'be sure, T'be sure" as Seamus O'Flaherty might say. Seriously, before playing with your SD, always make a back-up.

Ready. Set. Go. Unzip the camera files, make sure the sound file( .ogg ) , data file ( .ov2 ) and picture file (.bmp ) are all named correctly. Again, the naming format depends on the selection of database file you are installing.

example : zoned 30mph ( names shortened to save developing RSI )
pgpsworld_gatso_30.ogg
pgpsworld_gatso_30.ov2
pgpsworld_gatso_30.bmp

Repeat this for each type &/or speed ( you'll see when you do it for real ). Drag & Drop all files into directory on your SD card ( dir name differs with map installed so again that will need checking nearer the time ).

Check the POI's are enabled, then you get to set your Warn when Nears and your off. Sorry if this sounds Psycho babble but it is incredibly easy really. Honest.

I'm off to find the links to the Step by Steps but a Mod may beat me cos they have stuff like that on hand, bless 'em. It is also possible to install via TomTom HOME but this ov2 method feels easier somehow. Should you get stuck at any point there are zillions of helpful types on here to lead you through & ensure all goes well.

[Hirvevarra pauses for breath]
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed

Forgot to say :

uninstall TT versh using TT HOME and recommend removal before installing PGPS version. Can run concurrent but it's messy and annoying and not necessary really.

Here linky, linky, linky.......never a Mod when you need one. Wink
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateers Intro to PGPS World Database

Privateers guide to installing the PGPS World Database

This explains about the ogg files

Here's a great source of the OGG files

A little light reading Laughing but there are entities ( shall resist saying human beings ) just a key or mouse click away if you get stuck.
Hirvevarra
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Haven't quite got the hang of BBCode Vs HTML.

this is the ogg file source web address

http://www.tomtomsatnav.info/realvoice.html
Altea
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Hirvevarra for your comprehensive reply. It will be very helpful indeed. As you say, why wait? I'll read your links and then go for it!! Many thanks again!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: