Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom One Europe or Snooper Indago? - Advice please
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom One Europe or Snooper Indago? - Advice please

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: TomTom One Europe or Snooper Indago? - Advice please Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was all set to buy myself a Snooper Indago Euro Plus for £499. My main reason for this was the NAVTEC mapping and the way in which the Indago handles speed camera alerts, for example:

- The speed limit is on the screen when approaching a speed camera
- It gives you voice warnings (not just silly alert sounds)
- Updates only cost £99 for lifetime subscription

I have now seen that the TomTom One Europe (v2) is only priced at £269 and has much of the same features (except maybe a shorter battery time). The only thing that concerns me is the way in which TomTom incorporate their speed camera database. Can anyone tell me the following:

1) Are speed limits reliably displayed on the screen when approaching a speed camera?

2) I have read that for some TomTom units the alerts can be changed for voice alerts. Is this true for the TomTom One V2? If so, does this work for TomToms own speed camera database? How well does this hack work?

3) Does the Pocket GPS World speed camera database work on the TomTom One V2?

I have seen many people say that Snooper Indago subscriptions are expensive but £99 for a lidetime seems good to me. After 5 years this would make it cheaper than TomTom's and about the same as the Pocket GPS World database.

Infact, for comparisons sake, the Snooper Indago would cost a total of £599 over 5 years, whereas the TomTom One Europe will cost a total of £469. Not a great deal in it really (I guess you could argue that the TomTom using this sites database would only cost £365 though which is far cheaper).

Any advice would be much appreciated.

One thing though, before anyone replies - from reading various posts I get a feeling that because the Indago cannot load third party POIs, and therefore cannot use this sites speed camera database, that the opinions expressed often appear to be biased towards those that can. I guess this is to be expected amongst the community that has helped create and maintain the database.

Cheers!
Alex
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. On the TomTom ONE v2 speed limits are reliably displayed when approaching a speed camera

2. Yes the voice alerts can be changed for the TT ONE v2. Its build 7390 see here http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-poi-alerts.php

3. Yes it certainly does.

I am biased but I have to say the TomTom ONE v2 is the best TomTom device I have had. Small but compact, nice and loud, highly portable with a sturdy mount and a nice shape that fits in my wifes handbag Sad hence why I am left with my old the GO 300 Smile
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks MacBobby.

So really, apart from the manner it is displayed on the screen, the TomTom and Indago don't really differ when it comes to speed camera alerts and speed limit notifications.
Tomo
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Macbobby wrote:
1. On the TomTom ONE v2 speed limits are reliably displayed when approaching a speed camera

Sort of.

It displays the speed on certain main/trunk roads. Not always an accurate speed though as things may of changed since the mapping was done or indeed it was wrong when they did the mapping. I find the speed readout quite small too, I would like to see it a little bigger, even if they made the speed (actual and limit) a bigger font only when you exceeded the limit. Currently it flashes red when over the limit, stable white when below the limit.

The snopper will probably be much better detecting the cameras compared to a TT and any of its databases cos thats what snooper is.

TT will be the better navigator though so which is more important to you?

Steve
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when I look at the screen shots on this page I don't see the speed limit or actual speed displayed at all.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-go-poi.php

How/where is the speed limit displayed?
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, do you still get the speed camera icon on the top left of the screen, as that is quite large, as I haven't seen this is more recent screenshots (they tend to be placed on the road itself).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: