Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - ARRGH !! .. I think I have broken my GO700 .. HELP!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

ARRGH !! .. I think I have broken my GO700 .. HELP!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: ARRGH !! .. I think I have broken my GO700 .. HELP!!! Reply with quote

Can anyone help me here? .. I recently installed the latest speedcamera database OV2 / BMP stuff onto my little friend, then set off on a journey .. to discover to my horror that it wouldn't swich on properly, I can't switch it OFF either.

I think (and I may be wrong) that my loading the european database AND the individual OV2 stuff for the UK I may have caused a glitch (I was planning a european trip soon and thought I'd use both .. this may or may not be the cause .. but its' the only thing I've done I can think of)

If I try the reset, I get the tomtom drums, then the loading bar then my spash screen then nothing. I left it on on it's cradle whilst I travelled and after 20 minutes or so, the map came up but as soon as I touched the screen it locked up and then switched itself off. It did this several times as my heart sank deeper and deepr (even had to by an A-Z of the city I got to .. which was very upsetting!)

I tried to reset it whilst holding the on-off button and was shown a screen of text showing the processor speed etc., before the loading screen and my splash screen appears and again, nothing ..

I managed (the first time I got past the splash screen) thinking the problem had cleared, to get as far as selecting a recent destination but that's as far as I got as it locked up again.

I am literally lost without this thing and I am now pretty stuck.

If I USB it to my PC, windows xp dingdongs to tell me it has found a new device, and the GO700 displays a screen with hand and flashing hard drive symbol (which goes away leaving the rear view and plugged in lead showing on it's screen) but it doesn't come up as an external device in 'My Computer' so i don't appear to be able to get into it's little innards to remove the camera databases (to try again)

PLEASE .. anyone got any helpful hints .. I am willing to give it a go.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt whether just putting the database on would cause this. Did you by chance put on a spoken warning from this site or Ray Flanagan's (changing the data.chk file)? If so did you make sure that the version was correct for your firmware?

Your symptoms sound similar to what happened when i tried to put the wrong version for the firmware onto my wife's TT700.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mm .. I thought it seemed odd .. but actually no, I didn't put spoken warnings on. I HAD these, but when I updated the GO700 operating system a while ago they vanished and I hadn't gotten round to replacing them. So the ONLY thing I did was to put the OV2 and BMP files on.

I did notice (when I added them) that the TomTom didn't seem to like being connected to the PC (it wasn't recognised and though I got the dingdong from Xp to say something had been plugged in nothing appeared in My Computer. It took a few goes before the PC saw it .. and then it seemed fine.

Yesterday I did manage to get one of my laptops to recognise it as an external drive, but when I opened the folder the PC wouldn't display anything in the folder, and when I tried a bit later it wouldn't show anything at all. I tried every USB port on three computers same problem .. and anything else plugged into the ports displayed immediately so the problem must be the tomtom end... sigh.

I suppose it could be some crazy coincidence that it's actually decided to pack up .. and it was bought last December so it's under guarantee I expect.

Did you get your wife's TomTom working again?
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weird. Methinks it could be knackered but connect it to the laptop that recognised it and right click on removable disk then go to properties. How much free space is there? Are you able to move a small file over to it?

All TomTom devices manufactured after 1st January 2005 carry a 2 year warranty (not a lot of people know that!) provided you can supply proof of purchase. Smile
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like "welcome to a dead hard drive"
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just my luck !

thanks everyone .. I do have proof of purchase (in a box somewhere) .. time to go in search perhaps.

I'll let you know the outcome.
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gonna need a scanned copy of your proof of purchase and a printer to print off the returns labels. Then go to www.tomtom.com to set the ball rolling. Be sure you have already registered with tomtom before you begin. I sent a GO 300 (faulty screen) and had it back within 10 days. I thought that wasn't to bad bearing in mind it went to Amsterdam and back Smile
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I go to TomTom direct .. or to the retailer I bought it from?

I was under the impression my first port of call was the retailer (in this case Dixons) .. who's customer service telephone line doesn't seem to like me and keeps hanging up on me incidentally.

David
Macbobby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a thread saying that if you press the retailer hard enough they will replace or organise the repair for you. I bought my 300 at dixons and took it back to them (9 months after purchase) they told me to send it back to TomTom. Perhaps I should have dug my heels in a bit Sad
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks .. I'll send Dixons a note to begin with and see what they do. Could be an interesting test of their customer sevice.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I think you will just be wasting time by trying to go via Dixons.

I know your contract is really with them, but all of the Currys-Dixons-Comet-type places seem to try to squirm out of it and delay things.
Also you have the problem that the 700 is not in the current product range, so they are unlikely to be able to give you another one on the spot, just to make you go away!

In all my dealings with TomTom, the ONE thing that has REALLY impressed me was their returns procedure. Once you have got them to agree to a return, the whole process is quick and efficient. Give 'em a ring....
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fair point .. so far (and I have sent two messages so far and can't get through to them on the phone either) I have had no response at all .. not even a 'we have received your mail and are now in the process of tearing up the print out and throwing it in the bin'

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a day or two and then head for TomTom.

it's good to hear they are good on support anyway.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidmouse wrote:

it's good to hear they are good on support anyway.

Did I say that!! 8O Laughing

Actually, I think their support is awful generally, in terms of advice given, product knowledge, politeness etc. But my own experience of sending a Go300 back for repair was excellent and other reports on the forums have all said that the actual returns system works very well.
davidmouse
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops .. sorry if I put words in your mouth. no offence intended.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! I was laughing... just imagining the look on the faces of all the regulars, if they read that quote!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: