Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom unit not charging while in car
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom unit not charging while in car

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mogette
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: TomTom unit not charging while in car Reply with quote

For a couple of years now I have been using a HP ipaq h1940 PDA in conjunction with TomTom (oh dear, can't find whether it's TT2 or TT3 - does that matter?). It's a rectangular silver box anyway. (Look how non-techie I am!)

It is bluetooth connection, but when in the car I use a cradle for the ipaq that plugs into the cigar lighter, and has leads for charging both ipaq and TT unit.

Recently I have realised that the silver TT unit is not charging when in the car. So it will run for about two hours, but then the satellite reading is finished and I am on my own, navigationwise. In the evening I have to recharge it from the mains. The ipaq on the other hand remains fully charged by virtue of being in the in-car cradle and does not need further mains recharging later.

Is this merely a problem with the lead between TT unit and cradle? If so, how can I get a new lead? I am reluctant to shell out the £50+ I paid in the first place to buy an entire new in-car cradle.

Or is it some problem within the silver rectangular TT unit itself? Failed battery? Again, what can I do to remedy that?

Would be hugely grateful for a solution to this problem...

Angela
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a lead problem... Can you power the iPAQ off that lead?

(and do you know that your BT GPS was supposed to have broken down two years ago? They don't normally last that long)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
It could be a lead problem... Can you power the iPAQ off that lead?

It's a lead with 2 jacks on both sides if my memory serves me right, not sure you can power an iPaq with it.

Anyway, if the problem is with the lead or with the charger in the cradle, I think I have a few of 1940 cradles somewhere, you can have one for the price of delivery.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mogette
Ok, so your PDA charges all right from your Cigar Lighter but your GPS receiver does not.

I do not have the Ipaq 1940 but I do have the 2210 which uses a similar cradle. I should imagine that your trouble almost certainly lies in the lead from your cradle to the GPS receiver or inside the actual cradle/GPS receiver output.

It would be a simple test for an electrician.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:

It's a lead with 2 jacks on both sides if my memory serves me right, not sure you can power an iPaq with it.

I have one of those receivers, and the receiver cradle takes a standard round iPAQ plug. the other end of the cable is RJ11 allright (to go into the iPAQ cradle)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mogette
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Can you power the iPAQ off that lead?

I don't think that's possible, Lutz. The input to the TT unit is via long thin lead with a simple round thing similar to one for a mobile phone; that for the ipaq is a 1cm-long flat connection built into the inside of the cradle. They look totally dissimilar.

Trevor, yes I thought that an electrcian would be able to tell which connections were working and which not - but sadly I don't have a tame one in the house...!

Eldar, will send you a pm re your kind offer.

Thanks so much to all for this useful advice...

Angela
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mogette wrote:
lbendlin wrote:
Can you power the iPAQ off that lead?

I don't think that's possible, Lutz. The input to the TT unit is via long thin lead with a simple round thing similar to one for a mobile phone; that for the ipaq is a 1cm-long flat connection built into the inside of the cradle. They look totally dissimilar.

Your desktop charger should have come with an adapter from the "round thing" to the "long flat connection"

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mogette
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, Lutz !

That was the sort of language I can understand, so I riffled around in the boxes and found the pretty black and white-striped lead and its adapter. It's something I hardly ever use, so I had forgotten about it...

Anyway, using that, I went out to the car and tried charging the ipaq through the lead that normally powers the TT unit, and no joy at all. Put the ipaq in the cradle in the normal way, and the charging light began winking merrily.

So I guess that narrows it down to cable or connection, nothing to do with the TT unit itself. Smile

Angela
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good. So the next step would be to measure the lead out (to see if the cable is broken). Otherwise it may be the socket in the iPAQ holder. Any chance you can do that?

Anything else you changed in the setup recently?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
mogette
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Measure the lead out"?? That can't mean with a tape measure, surely. Embarassed In case it means feeling along every inch of it carefully, I have just done that. Can't feel any evidence of breakage though.

No I haven't changed anything recently. In fact it has been behaving like this for a few months but I have taken some time to work out the pattern of behaviour and to realise what it implies.

Many thanks again

Angela

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: