Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map View when navigating - Q1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map View when navigating - Q1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Map View when navigating - Q1 Reply with quote

Hi, I purchased a Quest 1 yesterday off eBay, needed it for a rideout today so collected it yesterday from the seller. It's a step up from my i3, especially for use on the bike as I can plot a proper route and, of course, it's waterproof.

The one thing I miss is that whilst navigating, unless you're at a turn (one the Q1 recognises as such), the Map View shows from your current position to the next turn. In some cases this can be in the magnitude of many miles. I can't find in the menus an option to not do this but show a view set to say 0.2 mile (on the scale bottom left). If there is such a setting please post here and put me out of my misery Confused

This is only an issue due to the fact that the unit doesn't necessarily include all turns when calculating a route. You can come to a T junction and the Map View remains zoomed out spanning many miles with no useful detail leaving you to guess which way to go. At the same time you get 'keep left' or 'keep right' at forks in the road where it's obvious that it's keeping you on the same road. The i3 does exactly the same but at times of ambiguity like this a quick glance at the screen tells you what to do.

I haven't encountered it on the Quest yet but, on the i3, if your route leaves a main road at a corner onto a minor road going straight ahead the unit says nothing and won't zoom in. Is as if the routing algorithm doesn't recognise a change of road name/number as a junction, surely this is wrong.
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Press Menu twice..map setup..map and turn off auto zoom ..then when back navigating turn the zoom in or out to the scale you want.

Dave
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oddsock wrote:
Press Menu twice..map setup..map and turn off auto zoom ..then when back navigating turn the zoom in or out to the scale you want.

Dave

Many thanks. I already tried that setting in 'indoor/simulation mode' but when it got to the T junction at the end of our road it didn't show any zoomed in turn information, which I was expecting. So I assumed that is what that setting did. Just tried again and let it run further following your instructions and it work the way I want. Maybe it's because the 1st turn is only a couple of hundred yards away from the start it didn't show the zoom (my i3 does so that's what I expected).

Garmin would be nuts to not allow that feature so thanks again for putting me straight.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: