Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Running TomTom Nav 2 and Maps from SD Card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Running TomTom Nav 2 and Maps from SD Card?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Running TomTom Nav 2 and Maps from SD Card? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just completely lost my TomTom2 installation yet again as I leave my IPAQ in my car and only use it once a week or so for Sat Nav. Seems the battery runs itself down to nothing despite not being used which is annoying.

Anyway, could you kind people please tell me if it's possible to install Nav 2 and the UK map to an SD card in it's entirity so that if I switch on my IPAQ and find that it's hard reset due to power loss I can still use Tomtom without reinstalling?

I have a feeling that there may be some registry issues e.t.c. which might stop me from doing this.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Cheers

Adam
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, Pocket PC batteries can and will run themselves down in a week. Some will last a little longer, but if you have programs running in background, or calendar appointments, the Pocket PC can wake up and stay awake draining the batteyr.

You can install maps to SD, but it's not recommended to install TomTom itself to SD as this can cause problems.

You will also lose all registry settings, your best bet is if you have a newer iPAQ that comes with Pocket Backup is to backup the Pocket PC to Storage Card, that way you can restore the whole lot quickly.

Failing that, charge the Pocket PC every couple of days, or you can purchase Pocket Backup. A full backup of a Pocket PC takes around 20mb, so providing you have at least 20mb free on a storage card, you can safe guard yourself from having to reinstall each time.
Revvin_Kevin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to leave your IPAQ permanently in your car (I wouldn't dare) then make a permanently live power connection (cigarette lighter socket) for it. These are readily available from Maplin's and the like. Find a permanetly live wire to wire it into and leave your IPAQ connected to this so that it remains charged. Wiring can be hidden under the dash to keep things out of sight and neat and tidy. Bit of work with a screw driver is all that's needed.
MILLWALLFC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this however if you recharge the battries up again there is no need to reinstall that error comes up as there is not enough battery power to boot tom tom 2 up
Adster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your advice, sorry it took so long, didn't have my forum settings set to "notify me when a reply is posted" so just thought I was being ignored Crying or Very sad

I did get round the problem in the end by using pocket backup and storing the maps on my SD card, so I'm now a happy bunny. Now all I need to do is be disciplined enough to charge darned IPAQ every few days!

Thanks again all
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way really is to backup but also when you're not using it, just leave it plugged into your cradle, or atleast a power cable. It won't cost much in electricity as it's a step down DC rating, and that way you keep the thing powered all the time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: