Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - User POI's in v7.0
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

User POI's in v7.0

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: User POI's in v7.0 Reply with quote

Despite following the manual instructions, I can't get my own POI's to save - when I get to the final tick for accepting them , it just stays highlighted & the prog hangs. Any help or suggestions gratefully received , as everything else works well & I find it a good prog. Thanks.
DJM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What file format are you using? and is this for Route 66 on a PDA?
I did post some instructions HERE for using the Speed Camera database with Rout 66 a while ago, if you download the database and open one of the files the layout of the data will become apparant - Mike
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
I'm using the prog on an ipaq2210. The PGPS speed camera database is installed & works perfectly.
I've followed the User Manual instructions for "Maintain POI Category"-"Add POI Category" & "Maintain POI" -"Add POI" etc. but when I try and save any selected location (of any type) , nothing happens ! Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to get the data into the correct format then transfer it to the device, the POI file format need to be :

Longitude,Latitude,"cameraname@speed"

A typical line entry is as follows:

20.28639,63.81944,"KUMEE02@30"

OK this was a Swedish Camera location but it should give you the idea, the POI files must only be opened in NotePad, even though they carry a csv file extension, once you have your POI files in the correct format simply copy them to the memory card in the following location
POIS/ Britain/ put the files in here and they will show up for configuration within the POI menu option where you can select POI Warn if required or use the POI to navigate to regular destinations (this was the best way of using the software for routine trips in my opinion) - Mike
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject: POI's in Nav 7 Reply with quote

Mike, thanks again for the reply.
I think we're at cross-purposes here. What I'm trying to do is use already found locations as POI's, by following the instructions in the User Manual (dated 2/06) under the heading "Define your navigation experience".
This indicates that I should be able to convert favourites to POI's, for example, but as quoted in my previous posts, it falls at that the last hurdle!
Rgds DJM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate thats not crossed purpose, I was a mile off target, you can convert Favourites to POI (But I couldn't find anything in the manual specifically related to this).

Here is how:

1/ Make sure you have already added a POI category
Points-of-interest/ Maintain-POI Category/ Add-POI Category give it a name say "DJM's POI" then select the icon you want to use and press the tick (Lower RH), return to the Navigation display.

2/ Select Point-Of-Interest/ Maintain POI/ Add-As-POI then from the presented list select your POI category as created in step one above "DJM's POI".

3/ On the next screen select Favourites, then from the presented list select the Favourite you wish to add into the POI Category.

Now repeat steps two and three for each Favourite you want to convert/ add as a POI - Mike
cartman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: User POI's Reply with quote

Mike - the plot thickens !
I've tried your method (which is as advised in the manual) and the prog writes the files for the POI category & its icon ok, as I can see them in File Explorer.
However, when I select a Favourite (#3 on your list), the tick remains highlighted & nothing is written to the file as the prog halts.
This seems to be the problem area because the pre-written files, such as the Speed Cam files, are all installed ok.
I was thinking of trying POIEdit but there is a choice of 5 .csv types - Destinator, Navman, Navio, Garmin & MioMap. Do you happen to know if any of these are Route 66 compatible ?
Cheers, DJM
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, as I have just tried this again on my unit and it works fine!
Aslo there is no mention of Fav to POI conversion in the manual, then again I don't have full postcode support either.
The MioMap format looks the best option, but you will have to re-name the file extension from .asc to .csv for the unit to accept the data - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: