Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Convert Nuvi Map Files To Mapsource
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Convert Nuvi Map Files To Mapsource

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Convert Nuvi Map Files To Mapsource Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a programme to convert nuvi map files (NT 8)to a file recognised by mapsource. This would also have to convert the autorouting files.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Convert Nuvi Map Files To Mapsource Reply with quote

wulls wrote:
Does anyone know of a programme to convert nuvi map files (NT 8)to a file recognised by mapsource. This would also have to convert the autorouting files.

It's not possible with any official software.

If you ask Garmin nicely then they might send you the mapsource DVD for free. You can then use the unlock code that came with the GPS unit to unlock the maps.
wulls
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Skippy for your reply, I already have Mapsource but I thought the files in nuvi were incompatible with mapsource and required to be converted to Mapsource file type. I have already tried to load them into Mapsource but they are not seen because of the file incompatibility.
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As your mapping software is pre-loaded you do not get what others get - a CD/DVD of CitySelect or CityNavigator.

Your cheapest option, as you already have MapSource, is to buy MetroGuide v8 [off eBay] which will contain all the maps and will be viewable in MapSource!

I do not have a Nuvi so cannot see what interaction you will get between MapSource/MetroGuide and the unit.

For the Garmin 60CSx the interaction is considerable!

PM me if you want more details.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wulls wrote:
I already have Mapsource but I thought the files in nuvi were incompatible with mapsource and required to be converted to Mapsource file type. I have already tried to load them into Mapsource but they are not seen because of the file incompatibility.

Ahh, maybe you are trying to open the files from the Nuvi directly - I think you have to use the Mapsource program to download the waypoints etc from the Nuvi (certainly, this is what I have to do with my Quest)

Try connecting your Nuvi to the PC, then open the Mapsource program and then go to the "Transfer" menu and select "Receive from device" in Mapsource. Tick the boxes for maps, waypoints, tracks etc and they should be downloaded and viewable on your PC.

You should then be able to add/remove/edit waypoints and routes then transfer them back into the Nuvi.

Let us know how you get on!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mapsource doesn't recognise the Nuvi then go to Garmin's website and download the upgrade to the latest Mapsource program.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: