Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help please. Which PDA?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help please. Which PDA?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martinredden
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:23 pm    Post subject: Help please. Which PDA? Reply with quote

How much memory would I need for the Tom Tom maps, GPSassist and a reasonable amount of additional POIs? 128Mb, 256Mb? I'm not sure if I'm likely to use my pocket PC for anything else.

What processor should I go for, for a nice speedy route calculation? The IPAQ 1940 looks nice, (266Mhz Intel XScale Processor), or maybe the Dell Axiom 300 or 400 with a 300 MHz or 400MHz Intel X-Scale Processor?

I'd appreciate any help that you can offer. I understand that GPS assist only runs with ARM processors I assume the above are ARM processors?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can afford the difference I would go with a 256mb card. It means that you can then install other programs or games to the storage card which will help. All in all, TomTom Navigator program, GPS driver and GPSAssist all like to be installed into main memory, so really all you would put on the storage card would be the maps (your profile doesn't list which country) but I'm guessing Great Britain, will be around 95mb in size, plus any POI's. You could get away with a 128mb, but for what it costs for a 256mb card, I would go with the 256mb.

The Axim's have had some problems reading a lot of different SD cards, or had bad performance issues, the iPAQ 1940 is good, but tbh I prefer the 2210 which comes in at £300 inc vat. You get two storage slots, and it's small and runs a 400Mhz processor, 64mb ram.
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole of the UK maps need about 95mb so 128mb ought to be plenty, but you will always find something to fill it so I would suggest going for 256mb.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: