Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTTraffic - Initial Info Suspect
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTTraffic - Initial Info Suspect

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: TTTraffic - Initial Info Suspect Reply with quote

The info recd in traffic is dodgy at best but I think I've spotted a issue, with TT traffic.

First update is invariably wrong!

Power on the 910 unit. Navigate to HOME. Enable Traffic. Update commences.
First hit of Traffic Info.
Disable traffic, re-enable it does another Update and hey presto, different again all with the space of a few minutes.

This has happened four out of five days last week between 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm on the M60 Manchester.

One day reported 2 hours delay on a 20 mile journey, 2 minutes later 15 mins, which was about correct. Noticable changes in a Vshort period on the other days. May just be the sequence I follow but this issue is consistant. Interestingly the 2 hour delay related to a road closure some 9hrs previous.

Asked TT at the Edinburgh show and they stated that there should be little or no difference in the space of a few mins. I did ask if the 910 would cache previous Updates and by default give that, but was assured that's not the case.

Clearly you may sync either side of a TMC update but 4 days out of 5? I think not.

I am still on the 1 months trial but told no difference in service for that.

Hmm.....
SatMap
gpssparky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about traffic caching. if I advance plan a route at home, where I have no signal, I get the warnings from last time I picked up traffic.

-----------
Tomtom Go 540 Live - That's it.
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My error was not on a preplannned route, so there should have been no discrepancy. IT reported that it had updated. TT at the show had no answer.
SatMap
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been contacted by a TomTom employee Kenneth Refsgaard, apparently he was the person I spoke to at the Edinburgh show.

I have replied as follows:-

Quote:
This was what I discussed at the show.

Another example I gave was on the way to Edinburgh, Saturday 20th May. This wasnt a single sync as i'd used the traffic service on the way so it should have been correct. The TTGo910 routed me via the A702. When I get to that road it is closed with long standing road works, diversions take me via the A701. The closed road was not reported on the 910 traffic information.

On the return journey I decided to take the M8 and again road works were either not reported or not in the right location. Maybe I'm expecting too much from this service? If i'm paying for the information it has to be reliable!

So I am experiencing:-

Missing road closures, out of date traffic info on first sync, and general traffic inaccuracies. It isnt very good at all.

I have tried Traffic before, I previously used a PDA with Navigator 5, I also stopped using it on that for the same inaccurate reports. It may be that TMC is generally rubbish or it's the TomTom link in the process that corrupts it. What level of accuracy should I be getting?

The free subscription to Traffic has now have expired, as the information presented by the TT device is rarely correct, even when refreshed, I wont be subscribing to it if the quality is as I have experienced!

They asked me for my device number, map used and dates when this occured, all has been provided.

I'll update this thread when and if I get a response.

TTFN
SatMap

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: