Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Corrupted SD on TT One - friend's backup any useful?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Corrupted SD on TT One - friend's backup any useful?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cremone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Corrupted SD on TT One - friend's backup any useful? Reply with quote

While poking aroung with my GF's father brand new tomtom One i somewhat managed to corrupt the SD Rolling Eyes

So i am in charge of repair. The family didn't do a backup (to my surprise it's not suggested in the wuick start instructions) , but i managed to collect a friend's backup of the SD, same maps (Italia-map)

I can access the original sd, and copy data from/to it. I performed severla scans to find and correct the corrupted sectors without any luck.

My question now is: can I just uplad my friend's backup onto the card and have it working? Or there is some relationship between the card and the unit, so that the card will function only in its own one?

Also, can i assemble a mix of his and mine files to have a functional SD?

Since i am a noob here i have to say i alredy extensively serached the forums without finding a fully useful advice.

Thanks in Advance.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you search, then? Wink

I just put "copy SD card" into the search box, set it to "search for all terms", in the TomTom Go/Rider/One forum only, and came up with 77 hits, most if not all of which are about this issue.

In short, it all depends on what is still on your SD card. DO NOT erase anything else or try to reformat yet.If you can open it up in Windows Explorer, do some screen grabs and post them here, that will enable us to see what's left. Make sure that Explorer is set to show all hidden files and to show file extensions (both set in Tools / Folder Options / View Tab - tick "Show hidden files and folders" and un-tick "Hide extensions of known file types"). If you can't post screen shots, do a list of every file that's not in a folder, all the folders, and all of the contents of the map folder, andpost that list here.

As for copying your mate's card, that is fine for the software etc. as that is freely available on TT's website, but his maps are linked to his machine. If you put them on yours, on a new or reformated card, it will probably ask you to ativate them. You will probably be able to do that, but they will then be linked to your Go and your friend will not be able to update them on HIS system. Plus it's technically theft as you are breaking your licence agreement.
If we cannot find your maps and you don't have a backup of them, your best bet is to send the card to TomTom with a note explaining what happened, and they will sort you out (but will probably charge a fee).
cremone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002: thanks for answering.

Here's how i solved the problem: i copied the whole content of the sd using a card reader (much faster).
Then i performed a binary comparison between the data i grabbed off the faulty SD ad my friend's backup, searching the whole directory tree.

The differences reported were many, but the major one was in the 'ttsystem' file.
I formatted the card using the SD Memory Card Formatting Software Ver.1.2
available here
http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/cs/sd/download/sd_formatter.html

and then copied back the whole structure, but using the friend's 'ttsystem' file.

That's all.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Good result :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: