Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Toll Charge Warning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Toll Charge Warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Toll Charge Warning Reply with quote

Why does the TomTom Go say Congestion Charge when you route accros Dartford Tunnel or the Bridge. I'm sure it used to say toll charge but I may be wrong. I've tried reinstalling the software upgrade, to go back to the normall sounds etc but still says this so i put the new data.chk file for gatso's etc back on to the device still no difference is it a quirk or is my device currupt in some way.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been like that on my TT - annoying isn't it. I would want to miss congestion charge but £1 for the Dartfprd toll is OK - you have to know the route to guess which one they are talking about.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a think about it perhaps the TT Guys have got ir right after all.

The amount of times I sit in traffic at the Dartford Crossing, perhaps it is a congestion charge after all.

Wouldn't it be nice if the motorist could seek revenge. Something like the powers that be made the Dartford Tunnel people pay a fine everytime someone had to wait more than 15 Minutes. £2 per 15 Minutes would be good. They would soon get there act together then. Or heres a thought. Let's not pay to cross the bridge/tunnel after all was that not the idea originally after the crossings were paid for, they soon got out of that didn't they.
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V5 Navigator (PockectPC Version) classifies the dartford bridge as a Toll Road, not the Congestion Charge.
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

910 has it as a toll road but then again it says the congestion zone is a toll road sigh
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
after all was that not the idea originally after the crossings were paid for
I can remember using the tunnel just after it was opened, about 1965, it cost 2/6d (13p). Yes, the original idea, so we were told, was that the charge would stay until the tunnel had been paid for but then of course they had to build a second, to ease the traffic jams caused by having to stop to pay the toll, and the charge would continue until that was paid for. Then of course they had to build the bridge, to ease the traffic jams caused by having to stop to pay the toll. There are, of course, still traffic jams, caused by having to stop to pay the toll, so hopefully, when the bridge is paid for, the toll will cease and the traffic flow freely and delays will be minimal.
Hold on, was that a pink pig just flying past my window? :P
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bridge has already been paid off, the toll should have been scrapped a few years ago 31/3/03 to be exact. However guess what the government did... They scrapped the toll yeah right, they sold dartford crossing ltd to a french company who kept the toll in place.

So everytime you cross the bridge or go through the tunnel your £1's are not going to the government but to a company called Le Crossing.... Cool eh Rolling Eyes
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
V5 Navigator (PockectPC Version) classifies the dartford bridge as a Toll Road, not the Congestion Charge.

Nope .... not on mine it don't - version 5.0 - always says congestion charge
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrstella wrote:
The bridge has already been paid off, the toll should have been scrapped a few years ago 31/3/03 to be exact. However guess what the government did... They scrapped the toll yeah right, they sold dartford crossing ltd to a french company who kept the toll in place.

So everytime you cross the bridge or go through the tunnel your £1's are not going to the government but to a company called Le Crossing.... Cool eh Rolling Eyes

That is not quite correct. In order to fund the building of the bridge a few years ago the government came up with a "design build fund and operate" package. Basically a consortium (cant remember if it french or not, but certainly had English contractors) built the bridge and paid for it and then managed both the bridge and tunnels and collected the tolls until it was paid for.

The Act that set it all up stipulated that when it was paid for it was to revert back to government and the toll was to be scrapped. They assumed it would take a long time but did not recon on the huge increase of traffic using the M25.

Well the first bit happened - back in UK goverment ownership - but they changed the law so that the second bit did not - so now effectively a stealth tax.

Not sure who is contracted to manage the collection of tolls and the bridge and tunnels maintainance - that may be a french company under contract. But you will be glad to know that we taxpayers own it - try that as an excuse for not paying the toll next time .... Smile Smile
Copilot for USA
mrstella
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There you go it does prove that stella rots your brain after prolonged use :D

Its Le Crossing that operates the tolls, maintenance etc and there contract comes up for renewal at the end of the year.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: