Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Fed Up & Going
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed Up & Going

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Fed Up & Going Reply with quote

Right Folks Out of here

Fed up with this ALK, CoPilot 5-6 Mitac Mio lark. Going out over the holiday to buy new, real, sat nav system. Pocket full of money and ALK's pathetic excuse for a system belongs on EBay, cheap, or in the bin.

What's your recommendations. Is there a system out there that works, properly, on a Pocket PC type of machine that i can load Camera POI's on.

Which Pocket PC and what software?

GB
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for ease of use try tomtom5 very customizable and wil work with the mio unless you want a new pda the why not combine it with a phone something like the orange spv600 you'll need at bluetooth receiver its a cheep way of getting a very good pda or you could just keep the mio

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grimbeard, is it really is you saying this, is it? I mean the Grimbeard??? 8O

I know nothing about programmes other than the ones I already have; i.e. TomTom 5 and Copilot 6.

It rather depends what you want from the navigator. I find TomTom excellent for managing a list of addresses imported as POIs. These can be edited or deleted as one goes. For example, it can be made clear which have yet to be visited, which are finished with and which have been viosited but have to be revisited. They can be deleted altogether, one by one, if desired. Also, I find the user interface, menu organisation and graphical displays superb in TomTom.

On the other hand, TomTom does not have route optimisation or, by Copilot's standards, credible advance route planning or waypoint utilisation.

TomTom also has a lot of mapping errors; in my experience, the most common of these is routing down impassable tracks or closed roads. I have also found that TomTom too often gets confused in urban areas. It too often gives a late instruction, thus missing a turn, and then fails to recalculate quickly enough to take the next logical turn. I'm told that switching off POI display might be necessary to prevent this.

Whether a standalone TomTom (Go, etc.) would meet any of these criticisms, I don't know, but from what I've seen they do run faster - than on my Dells at least.

I don't know if any other product will fit your particular bill, Grimbeard, but you might consider having a large storage card and running Copilot and another one on your existing PPC, assuming it has the capacity. Then, you can use Copilot if, say, you want to plan a route while walking the dog (which I certainly do) and, perhaps, TomTom if you want to manage your POIs and visits.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

Yes this really is me, Judas I am. I should tell you the whole story but I haven't got three weeks to spare, suffice to say, I've had a lot of contact with ALK over the last few days and well, still no closer to a CP6 upgrade and if I treated my customers like they do theirs, I'd have no customers and then I'd probably kill myself. People have said this before and I may have defended ALK in the past but this is the last straw. ALK is the most pathetic, inept and downright shoddy company i have ever dealt with. They don't deserve to be in business.

When, if, i calm down that Dave Burrows bloke is going to get a right old literary ear bashing.

On the plus side, I looked at GPS today and didn't find anything i liked better, so i might even end up with crap-pilot 6, or stay with CP5.

Fancy liking CP5 over the competition, thats a very bad state to be in.

Even Grimmer than usual

Grimbeard
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with almost everything Ponderous said, but with my iPAQ 2210, TomTom is quicker at recalculating routes than CP6. In very dense city centres, the advance warning of turns is better with TT5. Also CP6 snaps very powerfully to the road it thinks you are on, even if you are on a parallel road about 25 yards away. TT5 seems better at realising if you are on a different road
Out in the open country they are equally good, though, as Ponderous says, TT5 sometimes takes you down very narrow roads whilst CP6 has a preference for major roads
I probably use TT5 80% of the time and CP6 for the remaining 30% (That last calculation was performed by CoPilot Wink )
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
PONDEROUS
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to read what you say, Robin2, about the relative performance of TT 5 and CP 6. Not everyone is in a positon to try out alternative hardware, so this is the only way some of us can find out this sort of thing.

To my knowledge, Copilot on my hardware has never snapped to the wrong road. Furthermore, I have had TT 5 doing so - and it also sometimes shows the route arrow travelling down the middle of a field parallel with the road.
Dell Axims X50v & X30 (both WM 2003 2nd Edition). Copilot BTGPS3 and Fortuna Clip-on BT receivers. Jabra BT 250 audio headsets. Welltech 40032/AF32 BT handsfree audio. Copilot 6.0.4.110. TomTom Navigator 5.21. MS Autoroute/Pocket Streets 2005
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have only limited experience of TomTom (as a being a passenger when someone else has been using it) the only thing I can say about CoPilot snapping to the road it thinks you are on, is that it seems to have a very strong tendancy to assume that you are still on the route it has calculated for you - even if you deviate from it, possibly more so when you have a weaker fix. Admittedly I haven't had the opportunity to use it in very dense built up areas.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly not the case with my installation. There is a cul de sac which runs directly behind my house, parallel to my road. If I am navigating home and drive into the cul de sac, CoPilot invariably assumes I have followed the route into my own street, shows it as such on the map and tells me I have reached my destination. TomTom on the other hand notices that I am in the wrong road and tells me to turn around
Robin
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
That's certainly not the case with my installation. There is a cul de sac which runs directly behind my house, parallel to my road. If I am navigating home and drive into the cul de sac, CoPilot invariably assumes I have followed the route into my own street, shows it as such on the map and tells me I have reached my destination...

But this is exactly what I was saying - CoPilot tends to (over)assume that you are following the calculated route.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Neil - I was replying to Ponderous' point
Robin

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: