Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Spoken Warnings for POI alerts Speed Camers !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Spoken Warnings for POI alerts Speed Camers !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdrury3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: TomTom Spoken Warnings for POI alerts Speed Camers ! Reply with quote

I have been reading and have seen that you can now get the Spoken Warnings for POI alerts for the TomTom pda I have seen some on ebay but have been told that you can get them for FREE from here O have downloaded Them from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/tomtom-poi-alerts.php But I dont know how and what to do can anyone please tell me where they go do I have to convert them Thanks
Steve D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, you should have a single file which requires re-naming to data.chk make sure the file you downloaded is the correct one for your device i.e. the correct platform and importantly the correct version/ build (you can find the version/ build numbers in preferences/ show version).

Copy the new data.chk file to the memory card of the PDA then from this point onwards we just use the PDA and file explorer.

Go to My Device/ Program Files/ Navigator In this folder tap and hold the file called data from the pop-up select re-name lets call the file Old_data.

Go to the memory card location where you copied the new data.chk file tap and hold the file, select copy from the pop-up.

Go to My Device/ Program Files/ Navigator In this folder tap and hold the stylus on a blank area of the screen from the pop-up box select paste.

Once the file has transfered perform a soft reset of your device, then run up TomTom, go to preferences/ Manage POI/ Warn when near POI select each camera in turn and configure for the correct voice (use the Test Button to hear the audio), you might find its easier to write them down, also write down the list of cameras, ticking them off as you configure each one in turn.

Once you have all this working and confirmed its working, you can go back in file explorer go to Go to My Device/ Program Files/ Navigator In this folder tap and hold the Old_data file select Cut.

Go to the SD card and tap and hold the screen in a blank area selecting Paste from the pop-up, this last tip clears nearly 1MB from the memory, so it is worth doing, I would never recommend deleting the Old_data file just incase.

I know the above reads quite a large task but in reality this can be done in a few mins in reality it takes longer to read this post than it would to re-configure the voice warnings, once configured you don't have to bother again. The new revised POI files for the cameras simply overwrite the old ones, not affecting any of this set-up.
Mike
sdrury3472
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: POICapture for TomTom GO and PDA Reply with quote

Thanks Very much I have now got the Voices working Great and Now I have another problem I went to Put the Voice to the Picture on the PDA Screen to find I have lots of different Pictures Like a Square with a yellow back ground /with a MPH speed / some white Squars with MPH / and Yellow and a White Square with a cam in the background and the round with the mph Is there anywhere I can go to find out what each one means so I can put the respective voices to them. Sorry to be a pain but I intend to go up to the Edinburgh Bash next month and I KNOW there are LOADS OF SPEED TRAPs on the A1 from Newcastle to Edinburgh Thanks again
Steve D
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, it is possible to re-name the alerts so the actual displayed name is more logical to describe the warning alert voice. If you are going to do this make sure you back-up your device first, because if it goes wrong you need to be able to recover the sat-nav.
First of all you need to go too www.tomtomsatnav.info and read fully the bit about extended POI Warnings, it looks daunting at first but in reality its not too bad to use.
You will need to download POIExtend from the site I linked to, you can then edit the displayed message.
There also some additional voices avail from this site that you might want to try, the use of this software also allows you to have upto 30 individual voice warnings instead of the default 15 (quite useful if you are using the full speed zoned set-up 23 in total).
There are a couple of things you need to understand, using this way to modify the warnings will mess up the names of any celeb voices you have installed, you might find they become named "Red light" but the pictures are all you need to select the voice. Also this application will not work if you are using TTN5,21 (Build 5431).
I hope you make it to Edinburgh - should be a good day out - see you there - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: