Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A real test!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A real test!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chewa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: A real test! Reply with quote

I'm again just back from France, my fourth trip with Navman ICN510 premium edition.

The only addition I have made is to use an powered ariel £13 from ebay with a dash "sticky mat" - £5 from same dealer.

This time I had a Corsa, and just set the ariel on the sticky mat on the dash, plugged in (at Charles de Gaulle airport) and within a few minutes (we were in the central hire car at terminal 2)had a lock, set my route to our hotel in Normandy and off we went.

300 km later we were at our destination, no wrong turns no problems, one redirect because of a diversion and even then the sat nav predicted every turn on the detour before the sign appeared!

By setting the hire car depot as a favourite when it locked on I returned directly to it a couple of days later.

I usually run with the screen showing next junction as it is handy to see what it lookslike, and the 3d mapping when passing through a town.

We negotiated Paris and the peripherique with the voice guidance meaning I could concentrate on missing the suicidal moto riders and aggressive Parisiens heading home (we went back to the airport through Friday rush hour) getting plenty of notice of where my next turn or bearing was to be so I could position the car properly without any inconvenience to others.

This is my fifth French trip with hire cars and the Navman has meant I've not needed to use a map at all. I have always been impressed by the 510 and never regret my purchase. Easy to carry, and set up, I only got the ariel because my last hire car was a people carrier with reflective screen.

I like to drive just listening for the voice prompts, then glance at the junction screen to see the junction and road I've to take. All in all, one of the best purchases I've made. Now to decide whether to upgrade to the new software.

By the way, the powered ariel is effective even on the dash, finding 8 or 9 sats within seconds.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have found the Navman invaluable in Europe. I also was thinking about upgrading the mapping BUT have you read the reviews on the new iCN530 due out this month? With the later mapping, enhanced software and other advantages (6 or 7 digit post codes etc full european street level maps +++) plus the price it will probably make sense to buy that..... Idea
pesci1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
BUT have you read the reviews on the new iCN530 due out this month?

Have you found somewhere a "on the road" review of iCN530? If yes, could you post the URL?
Thank you in advance.

Roberto
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pesci1965 wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
BUT have you read the reviews on the new iCN530 due out this month?

Have you found somewhere a "on the road" review of iCN530? If yes, could you post the URL?
Thank you in advance.

Roberto

Not 'on the road', but the full review is
here from the respected PGPSW staff.
Hope that helps, if you have not already read it.
pesci1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

Thank you, but I had already read it. I was looking for a more detailed review, with infos about fix time, satellite signal streghts, effectivness of new functionalities, etc...

Hope to read it soon in another post!

roberto
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pesci1965 wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:

Thank you, but I had already read it. I was looking for a more detailed review, with infos about fix time, satellite signal streghts, effectivness of new functionalities, etc...

Hope to read it soon in another post!

roberto

When we get some review samples, we will be able to write reviews. Unfortunately there don't appear to be any to be had at the moment. Sad
chewa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will my existing map cd's work with the 530?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chewa wrote:
Will my existing map cd's work with the 530?

Why would you want to? It comes with the full UK and European maps but perhaps your maps are for somewhere else? But, I think the answer is no. Sad
chewa
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's street level mapping in Europe that seems tremendous value. Might look to upgrade!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chewa wrote:
If it's street level mapping in Europe that seems tremendous value. Might look to upgrade!

I can only quote from the report in the Newsletter
Quote:
The region-specific maps on this unit are stored in NAND flash memory, meaning whatever region you buy the device in, those maps will be in the NAND flash, whose size will vary from region to region (UK will be 256Mb). Finally, the UK maps include full 7 digit postcode navigation, a feature which has been long-requested, at least on this site. We had a quick look and the data itself appears to be accurate with the few postcodes we know off by heart, and it narrows down the possible list with each character.

The maps for the other regions come on CD and can either be added to the NAND memory or stored on an SD or MMC card, for which a slot is provided. We understand that those maps will not require any extra payment for their use. Also in the box will be a car charger, mains charger and remote control, along with the carmount.

Hope that helps, but like you, it looks like tremendous value Wink

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: